Thread: MBIE asked for two references after interview

Default MBIE asked for two references after interview

I just had 1 hour on site interview with panel of 3 people including manager in mbie for an analyst role. So, after a few days they requested two references and manager called me by a personal phone which was surprising! I just gave my current manager which hopefully it is a contract base in a public sector and it is not like that it is permanenet and my manager is reluctant and the another one was outside of NZ previous employee.
    Did anybody have experience about this process. I also got email about pre employment check from mbie and complete that process.
    I am nervous and I really wish to have that job!
    Anyone please any idea or experience or tip?!

I would say it's absolutely normal for an employer to take up the references of a candidate they are interested in. If one of your referees does not wish to be fully supportive, it's probably a good idea to ALSO ask another previous employer, and explain to the new (you hope) employer the reason for the present manager's reluctance.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I would say it's absolutely normal for an employer to take up the references of a candidate they are interested in. If one of your referees does not wish to be fully supportive, it's probably a good idea to ALSO ask another previous employer, and explain to the new (you hope) employer the reason for the present manager's reluctance.
    Thank you really my friend. You always help. Both of them are supportive really as my contract is not permanent now so no problem for current manager and she is supportive. Based on your experience in NZ do I have chance when going to the reference stage?

It's a hopeful sign when anyone bothers to take up references, though of course nothing is certain.

Thanks. Anybody had experience after requesting reference how long does it take to get answer I would appreciate it? Also, I dont know what does it mean by pre employment check I see in profile before any offer?!

There's no regular time - it's entirely up to each individual company. A pre-employment check would be a look at the applicant's character and past, so probably is referring to taking up the references.

How was your question resolved? Got this job? I'm in a similar situation now)

Quote Originally Posted by SantaFe View Post
    How was your question resolved? Got this job? I'm in a similar situation now)
    yes got it any questions?