Thread: Interim Visa

Question Interim Visa

I'm an NZ citizen and my wife is here on a partnership work visa (due to expire in August 24). Her daughter is also here on a dependant of a work visa holder visitor visa (due to expire 30 May 24). I have applied for residence for both of them, however I have now been told that in order for them to remain in NZ until the outcome of the residence application, I will have to apply for 2 new visas for both of them. Is this correct? If so I would be looking at perhaps a new work visa for my wife and another visitor visa for her daughter (who is 19) and applying immediately as the daughter will turn 20 in mid August 24. Hope this makes sense. Any suggestions greatly appreciated, as it looks like I might be up for another $1200 worth of visas

Yes, this is correct. The law doesn't allow INZ to issue Interim visas to tide people over while they wait for processing of residence visas, only of temporary visas. And yes, it's a hit in the pocket, with no way round it. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Yes, this is correct. The law doesn't allow INZ to issue Interim visas to tide people over while they wait for processing of residence visas, only of temporary visas. And yes, it's a hit in the pocket, with no way round it. Sorry.
    Thanks JandM, you're super!!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    ... except that the Skilled Migrant Category Interim Visa now exists. Doesn't apply to those on the partnership-based pathway, obviously.