Thread: Offshore job offers without PR or work visa

Default Offshore job offers without PR or work visa

Hello all,

I was just wondering what everyone's experiences have been with getting job offers before actually moving to NZ while not having PR or a work visa. Has anyone received a job offer while still back home? If so, how did you search for it (ie websites, job expos, employment agencies) and go about securing it with the whole catch 22 of "you can't get PR without a job offer but you can't get a job offer with PR."

We were one of the unlucky ones who were in the 100-105 EOI point range with the new rules change on 21 Dec 05. Now we are going to have to have a job offer to be successful in either the PR or work visa route of getting over there. We are not looking at making the move for about a year so we have a while. And if it takes us coming over on visitor's visas to find work first we are more than willing and are able to do so.

Basically, we are trying to find the right direction in regards to how to go about securing a job offer prior to getting there. Any help or shared past experiences would be greatly appriciated. Right now I have been looking quite a bit in the Seek website but at the bottom of every vacency announcement it says you have to have the right (PR or WV) to work in NZ in order to apply.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I am thinking about applying for a job in NZ with a company that is part of a multinational corporation. I contacted the hiring manager (via email) to ask whether they ever hire people from overseas and she said yes. She sounded pretty receptive to the idea actually (but maybe because I used to work for a U.S. company that is part of this multinational corporation. And I also made it clear I would be eligible for PR if they were to give me a job offer.) She did say, however, that the last immigrant they hired just used them for PR purposes--i.e., this person worked for three months until PR was secure and then quit. So that has made this company a little shy about hiring foreigners. [NOTE TO EVERYONE: don't think about "using" companies this way--it makes it a lot harder for the rest of us.]

I realize this story doesn't help you if you're being told you won't be hired without PR, but maybe you could assure these employers that you will be eligible with their job offer...?

Hi there,
    Our experience is that they don't take offshore applicants seriously perhaps due to all the uncertainty of intentions and actual arrival date in NZ. Fortunately, Jim and I both work in an international company that has a local office in Auckland. He wrote the president of the branch, got positive feedback immediately and endorsed it to HR. We've yet to hear a concrete offer from HR but it's only been about 2 weeks since the HR manager returned from a holiday so things still look hopeful.

Anyway, I've read some threads here about people applying from offshore who went to NZ for actual interviews, and a lot who successfully secured a job altogether from NZ.

Goodluck!
    Alma

Hello TJH

Yes, this was the case with me. I got the job offer while I am overseas and perior of getting a visa. I got it through the web, applied for it and got accepted. Afterword, I applied for a work visa and got it. I am planning now to apply got a PR.

good luck

I also was among the unlucky ones that had submitted the EOI with 100 points the day they changed the rules (so a job offer will give me 150 points).

I've just started looking for jobs and I've posted my C.V on all the websites I could fine.

I spotted one job that sounded fantastic but it said that you must legally be able to work in NZ to apply. I rang up the manager that was advertising the job to find out more information and explained the situation regarding residency. The company had a couple of people working there who were in the process of applying for PR and he was still interested in me applying. After talking to him I filled out the application form and e-mailed it across, I read my e-mails the next day and he offered me a phone interview. (Fingers crossed as it's tomorrow!!!).

My advise is talk to the hiring manager before applying, then you can "sell yourself" before applying and test the water as to whether they will consider your application if you currently dont have PR.

And as richard from Long Beach said earlier.... assure the employers that you will be eligible with their job offer.

Good luck in your search!

Good luck Sarah & Alex with your interview, you'll have to let us know how you get on!

It might be worth a trip over to do interviews etc, people tend to take you more seriously if they see your face.

But a word of warning, if you do get a job offer, bring the paperwork home with you, so you have it to apply.

We have been waiting ages (and still are!) for paperwork to come through for hubby's job offer, getting to the stage now where we are planning to just sell up and go and sort everything once we are there!

good luck!

Hi TJH
    Thought I would let you know of our experience re getting a job offer as it can happen whilst you are still offshore.

I have a sister and 3 adult nieces in NZ and we emailed my hubby's cv to them and they handed it out to anybody they thought might be interested. One of my nieces struck lucky for us and within a few days hubby was being interviewed over the phone (at 6am and he's not usually at his best first thing in the morning!) - at the end of 20 mins he was offered the job!

The new boss has been extremely helpful and patient (the job was offered back in February and we are leaving the UK at the end of May) and also said that he has employed people from the UK before and was happy with their work.

I must say that we were lucky in as much as we have relatives there who helped.

Good luck.

Right now the plan is to come over on a 12 month Working Holiday visa (just got it last week) and find employment. Once that is done getting PR should be no problem.

We are not planning on heading over until next spring - so a couple of months out I will start sending out CVs and hopefully get a hit before departing.