I have just looked up the customs website and have seen a long list of goods for which you have to pay a duty fee, plus 12.5% GST - including things as innocent as clock radios and baby car seats.

I have got the impression from the site that this applies to all imports - the list referred to 'imports for private use', and includes second hand items as well as new items.

What is the score for people moving to New Zealand - do they actually have to pay these fees?! I don't recall ever seeing reference to these fees on the forum so wondered if they are simply included in the quote the shippers give you or whether they simply don't apply.

Sorry if this question sounds dense - I just couldn't find anything on the site that explicitly referred to immigration. The list is huge and I can see the cost would soon add up.

Also, i notice that tyres are included as a prohibited item. What happens with pushbikes? Do they inspect the tyres or are they not included.

Every time i think about moving to NZ another cost seems to be losing. I'm spending the money faster than i can earn it (esp as i'm earning NZ $$ now!! :-)

hannah