Thread: Custom duty/fees - do we have to pay these?

Default Custom duty/fees - do we have to pay these?

I have just looked up the customs website and have seen a long list of goods for which you have to pay a duty fee, plus 12.5% GST - including things as innocent as clock radios and baby car seats.

I have got the impression from the site that this applies to all imports - the list referred to 'imports for private use', and includes second hand items as well as new items.

What is the score for people moving to New Zealand - do they actually have to pay these fees?! I don't recall ever seeing reference to these fees on the forum so wondered if they are simply included in the quote the shippers give you or whether they simply don't apply.

Sorry if this question sounds dense - I just couldn't find anything on the site that explicitly referred to immigration. The list is huge and I can see the cost would soon add up.

Also, i notice that tyres are included as a prohibited item. What happens with pushbikes? Do they inspect the tyres or are they not included.

Every time i think about moving to NZ another cost seems to be losing. I'm spending the money faster than i can earn it (esp as i'm earning NZ $$ now!! :-)

hannah

Hi Hannah,
    Check out the link: http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...rges+Apply.htm
    This page sets down conditions for household effects to be exempted from customs charges. There are also separate links for exemptions under motor vehicles, boats and other categories.

Don't forget to check out the prohibited items list as well: http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers...ts/default.htm

Alma

Normal household contents do not count for this, as you are not importing them to sell, you can even get away with a new item or two, just unpack and pack it again, so it looks likes its been used, and repacked in old box

You can bring bikes/lawn moxers need to be cleaned and will be inspected by MAF on arrival, have a wee search as there are quite a few threads on how to clean things etc around here somewhere!

We bought wicker and seagrass items with us, they just took a quick look, no problem, our MAF inspection was very quick, and not at all detailed!

I cant remember but thnk it may depend on your kind of visa as to whether you can bring your house contents with you or not without extra charges.

Thanks folks.
    Checked out the link to customs and should be ok, as long as they don't catch us under the 'you have lived outside of NZ for the 21 months prior to entering NZ'. We, of course, have been in NZ for the last 4 months - but not 'living' here as such so may be able to argue ourselves out of that one.
    Jub jub, you are right - the duty free entry on goods applies to those coming into the country taking up permanent residence, so i guess anyone shipping furniture etc on any other kind of visa gets hit for these charges??

Anyway, thanks for your help. Good to know we may not get stitched up when we bring our gear in!

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah
    the duty free entry on goods applies to those coming into the country taking up permanent residence, so i guess anyone shipping furniture etc on any other kind of visa gets hit for these charges??

We come in on a WTR visa, will we be paying those charges?

Hi Nienke

I read in my ITA guidance notes today that those coming in on a WTR visa may have to pay GST (goods and service tax) on some household goods they bring in them. Don't know how this actually operates. I would suggest going to the link mentioned above to check details out of this.

Your household or other related effects (excluding motor vehicles, boats and aircraft) will be admitted free of duty and exempt GST for a reasonable time after your arrive, provided you can meet all of the following requirements:
    - you are coming to New Zealand with the intention and legal authority to take up or resume permanent residence

This is all I good find so far, all they mention is a permanent residence.

I vaguely remember having this question a while back- here is the thread with some helpful answers:
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1048

Thanks Tigerlily!

Hi all

Just wanted to let you know that the Customs people are great at answering questions, call 0800 4 CUSTOMS (0800 428 786) and ask about your specifics. Keep in mind that they are not trying to trip you up if you're legit, they are trying to catch the bad guys who are trying to get drugs and other contraband into the country.