Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best time to find a job

Arrow Best time to find a job

I need an advice about the best time to come to NZ to start finding a job. Is in the summer (June, July) everybody in holiday and with brains out to the beach (like in europe)? If I know correct, the seasons are opposite that means that in June will be winter

And a question for all guys from European Union, I have a curiosity: in order to come to NZ as a tourist have you asked for a tourist visa? or you dont need visa at all?

Thanks..........

I don'tknow about the best times to look for a job but I guess summer before Xmas break is not a very good time and for the tourist visa. I'm Dutch and we didn't need a tourist visa. Without visa you can stay for 3 months I think.

Hope this helps.

Dutch Emma

Yes, 3 months if your country has a visa waiver agreement with NZ (although the brits get 6 months). The below link shows which countries have this agreement.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzis/...anual/6434.htm

Also in order to enter NZ you will need to show a return ticket or the funds to purchase one.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by starkhorn; 7th March 2006 at 10:20 AM.

I saw a slow down in jobs being posted online just before the holidays, so I'd avoid December if I were coming looking for work.

December and January are the school holidays period and most of the companies are having long shutdowns. So avoid these period. The rest of the year is alright for job searching.

My hubby and I flew from Holland to NZ with returned air tickets and having the intention to look for a job. When we arrived at the custom, we requested for 3 months stay (custom form filled up during the flight) and after asking a couple of questions*, we were granted the 3 months stay.
    * The custom asked who are we staying with and why do we stay so long.

Good Luck with your job searching

Hi Buyio,
    I can't answer your question specifically, but had an email yesterday from an Auckland-based friend who's in recruitment saying:
    "Am feeling v guilty that I haven't got back to you yet - am so sorry but I have been flat out since the beginning of the year and the market has really taken off so it's really busy"
    So now seems to be a good time....
    Gil

December and January are the school holidays period and most of the companies are having long shutdowns. So avoid these period. The rest of the year is alright for job searching.

My hubby and I flew from Holland to NZ with returned air tickets and having the intention to look for a job. When we arrived at the custom, we requested for 3 months stay (custom form filled up during the flight) and after asking a couple of questions*, we were granted the 3 months stay.
    * The custom asked who are we staying with and why do we stay so long.

Good Luck with your job searching

Oh, most the employers expect the person to start work soon. With this in mind, we have actually sold our house, packed our household stuff in a container before we arrived here as tourists (with the intention to look for a job).

My hubby got a job offer less than one month upon arriving and he got his work permit in a couple of days so that he could start work. 4 months later, we got our PRs.

Quote Originally Posted by Buyio
    What about visa? do you need a visa if your country is in the European Union?
    For EU, no visa is required, however the maximum stay is 3 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buyio
    ........................, otherwise we could wait forever to get ITA.
    We have no patience for this, so we decided to come here as tourists and things just moved so fast when we are here.

I have thought my posting ws deleted but I just saw it has been moved here. Well... could not believe how silly I am
    Thanks so much for your advices, now that our eoi has been declined it seems the only option to come and start looking for a job.

Singel, you got a lot of courage to sell your house and pack and go for a "holiday" love your stile, we are the same.

Still the main issue is to get a visitor visa, not being from an eu country we have to get an interview and request a visa. Hopefully they will grant it to us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast