Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking horse riding gear to NZ

Default Taking horse riding gear to NZ

I was wondering if any of the horsie people could help me on this query? I am hoping to take all my tack (including saddles, bridles, rugs, boots etc) to New Zealand. I have collected it over the years now and it would cost us an absolute fortune to replace.

How do i go about cleaning it so that it reaches MAF standards? Do I need to get a professional to clean it - so that I have a certificate of proof to show MAF? Any help would be most appreciated. Not sure where to start on this one!

Many Thanks,
    Jo

I havent thought of the actual tack, but I guess it will be the same as any outdoor activity gear?? dont quote me on this!

I.E. Clean clean clean, no mud, hair etc.

With it being leather I wouldnt have thought it would be a problem....and you can wash rugs, girths etc....

I am just taking my Hat, (New-worn once b4 leaving ) leather riding boots and Jackets breeches and gillets etc.....although if the gears mega expensive.

My boys can forget bringing their clothes I'll stick a bridle and saddle and rugs in their cases

PS anyone know of websites selling horse stuff.............oh and fashion sites....got to choose what to take/sell as my wardrobe is a bit full.....

Hi Jo, have you asked your removal people about this one, Im sure you will not have been the first person to take tack.
    We found a fantastic wearhouse full of riding gear, had every thing to do with horses we loved it. So if you are in the Albany area of Auckland check it out (sorry can't remember the full address but it's in yellow pages).
    Oh yeah and one more bit of info if you are again in the Auckland area and want to go horse riding. Head up to Pakiri (about 1 1/2 hours north of the city) man it is amazing my daughter (and wife) just loved it. Here is the web site if any one is intrested www.horseride-nz.co.nz
    Good luck with your plans.........David

Thanks David, all sounds really fantastic - just cannot wait now! Unfortunatley we are heading to Welly rather than Auckland but I'm sure we will make a trip up to Pakiri. Do you happen to know anything about horse riding areas in Welly??????

Jo

Hi, Jo

I brought my horse and all my gear with me last year, and had no problems with MAF. I cleaned everything meticulously - sent numnahs, rugs, girths to a big sports gear cleaner (big washing machines!) which helped, and removed hair etc. Make sure also (almost more important) that there are no hay seeds etc. I then used some stinky extra strong disinfectant, eg on grooming kit. As it was though, when it came to our maf inspection they didn't look at any of the horse stuff! They were more interested in garden stuff, which may have soil etc on it. So, do your best but don't stress. You can check the MAF website for details too.

Saddlery Warehouse is probably the place the other person mentioned, and you can order from them online too. There's one here in Cambridge, don't know about Welly. Trademe has lots of horses and horse gear too.

HTH

Hi Jo, sorry dont know of any horse riding places in Welly but we are visiting the area next year so if you find any good spots be sure to let us know....Cheers and good luck..David

i know nothing of horses but just spotted this;

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Eque...n-47628350.htm

Quote Originally Posted by smiler
    i know nothing of horses but just spotted this;

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Eque...n-47628350.htm
    Cute pony for a chestnut, price -£935.56 roughly give or take a pound
    I wonder if this is a normal price for a youngster?

Well I have been looking at horse prices in NZ as I have to sell my 6yr old BSJA showjumper over here. Looks as though youngsters range from around $3000 - $7000. Much cheaper than over here! Think I may buy a young TB and train it up - once we have settled!

Quote Originally Posted by smitjo
    Well I have been looking at horse prices in NZ as I have to sell my 6yr old BSJA showjumper over here. Looks as though youngsters range from around $3000 - $7000. Much cheaper than over here! Think I may buy a young TB and train it up - once we have settled!
    yeah, Rachel has her TB up for sale at the minute (too much to do with baby to look after 2 TB's) she is keeping her older horse as he does BE and BSJA.

she went to her first competition the other week (6wks after giving birth ) she rang me after getting out the ring....she had 4 faults but I thought she'd won as she was so hyper & excited, but it was the thrill of getting back in the ring.

I can't wait to get a place and start looking for one myself, in the meantime I am a weekend rider

Kat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast