Thread: Britain losing coppers to NZ.

Default Britain losing coppers to NZ.

Why 1,000 British bobbies rushed to sign up for 100 jobs in New Zealand
    By Ben Leapman, Home Affairs Correspondent
    (Filed: 05/03/2006)

Armed raids on Yardie drugs gangs used to be all in a day's work for Sgt Mick Woods. As an experienced marksman in Kent Police's tactical unit, he raced to emergencies in an armed response vehicle and swooped on south London criminals in joint operations with the Metropolitan Police.

Now, however, after working a very different kind of shift, he relaxes on the decking, looking out over his paddock, two pet sheep and the volcano at the end of the garden.

Senior Sgt Woods, 43, is one of the growing number of officers who have traded in their British badge for a gentler kind of policing -New Zealand style. With 18 years' experience in United Kingdom forces, he has no regrets about his decision in 2003 to uproot his family.

He explained: "It was getting to the stage in the UK when you were sent to an incident and the chances were that you'd find some raging idiot who was going to knock your block off as soon as you got out of the car. You don't find that here. Society as a whole is not as violent, it's a little bit gentler. Even the people I arrest are more compliant."

New Zealand Police have collected the names of 2,700 British officers who have expressed an interest in making the move. When the force needed extra manpower last August, it e-mailed everyone on the list. Replies came from 1,038 British officers - 10 for every job on offer. The 100 successful candidates will start in April.

A similar campaign by Western Australia Police attracted 1,600 expressions of interest and 800 applications from Britain, with 210 job offers sent out last month. South Australia Police had 700 expressions of interest from Britain and took on 42 officers in January.

Critics blame low morale for the exodus. Rick Naylor, the president of the Police Superintendents Association, said: "Everybody understands that policing in England and Wales has become more challenging. The biggest concern for us as police managers is the haemorrhaging of skills."

Jan Berry, the chairman of the Police Federation, said: "This might be a reflection of low morale at a time when police officers are hindered and in some cases prevented from doing their jobs."

When they move to New Zealand, senior British officers start on the bottom rung, but can rise quickly through the ranks. Sen Sgt Woods went from firearms sergeant to beat constable, but is now senior with a desk job in South Auckland district HQ.

No one moves to get rich. Salaries for police officers in New Zealand and Australia are lower but the cost of living is cheaper. Sgt Woods traded in a three-bedroom semi in Kent for a five-bedroom bungalow in an acre of land. His wife Tina now runs a training business. The couple's three children were 16, 14 and 11 at the time of the move; the youngest came to New Zealand, the others stayed in Britain to finish their schooling.

Sen Sgt Woods said: "A lot of people come for the lifestyle. There are parts of the UK where you might go out for a drink with your wife on a Saturday night and think, 'I'm not too comfortable here'.

"I have not experienced that in New Zealand. There isn't anywhere I don't feel safe."

This was an article in the telegraph recently, about British policemens' experiences of policing in both the UK and NZ.

Tottefan.

Cool

yes I can well believe it!
    well good on em, the UK government give criminals the rights so I dont blame them for being fed up being a copper in the UK....tell you what, the UK can do the same...what with their new points system!

If 1,000 British bobbies 'rushed to sign up for 100 jobs in New Zealand' and are prepared to 'trade in their British badge' well, as far as I am concerned that tells you that there is little left to be desired in good old Blighty.

Like a lot of others, I too am proud to be British.However, I am not proud of what Britain seems to be turning into.

Julie

xx

Says it all really doesn't it?

They'll be needed here with all the scousers thinking about moving over here. Maybe they're forming a special department to deal with car hub cap theft *

* for the avoidance of doubt, i am joking

ay ay ay calm down