Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: US Vs NZ Electronics

Hi MB,

As mentioned, here in NZ its 220V and in the US its 110V. Check if your computers power supply has a voltage input switch ( 220-110) which is usually at the back near the power plug.

If you just gonna bring your HD. Its easy to get a PC here. Dell has presence in NZ and you can order on-line.

Being from the US myself I brought along some stuff but the ones we can only carry. Getting a step up transformer here is no sweat. The only thing is they have a different male power plug. I have to buy a bunch of adapters to have my stuff plug in the wall sockets.

Quote Originally Posted by MB
    Bringing this superb thread back to the top to ask one, 'just-making-sure' question:

if we don't take our 5-year-old Dell desktop, but instead take a cheap 80GB external hard drive full of old data PLUS a brand new (mid-range) desktop or laptop purchased via a regular US outlet (such as Office Depot, Dell or Best Buy) will this hook up to NZ plugs electrically speaking and ASDL-wise without much more expense than, say, a cheap Dick Smith adapter?

Cheers,
    Matt.

A US laptop will work fine, the power supplies will work with multiple voltages you will just need an adapter for the plug. Most US desktops are multi voltage as well, just look at the back fo the PC and it will list the voltages it takes by the plug.

Default Computers

Hi Matt and All :cool

if we don't take our 5-year-old Dell desktop, but instead take a cheap 80GB external hard drive full of old data PLUS a brand new (mid-range) desktop or laptop purchased via a regular US outlet (such as Office Depot, Dell or Best Buy) will this hook up to NZ plugs electrically speaking and ASDL-wise without much more expense than, say, a cheap Dick Smith adapter?
    As CLG states, all of today's computers are designed to run on 110V 60Hz/220V 50Hz. All you will need is a mains (electrical plug) adapter or Dick Smith sells power cords with the correct plugs on both ends.

DO NOT wait to buy your computer in NZ. With the poor performance of the U.S. dollar and the excellent performance of the NZ dollar, all brands are a good deal more expensive here than in the U.S. and come with less power, memory, etc. Best bet is to buy a good laptop and simply bring it with you or a desk top and ship it with your belongings (be sure to open it up, unpack it, etc. so it doesn't appear to be brand new). If you do bring a desk top, be sure to switch the voltage from 110V to 220V before you plug it in! :eek The switch is usually on the back of the CPU (or might be inside on the power supply for older models).

All sorts of ADSL modems and routers are available at Dick Smith and elsewhere. We purchased a U.S. Robotics ADSL router/wireless modem for NZ$399 when we arrived about a year ago. I see now that they are NZ$299 That's life!

As an FYI transformers are a more expensive here as well.

Hope that helps and best of luck on your journey!

Thank you so much, everyone.

When we got Verizon DSL (excellent and reliable, by the way) here in the US, the set-up pack came with all the plugs, etc. I wonder whether -- if NZ phone jacks are different -- the equivalent NZ DSL set-up packs come with suitable jacks/plugs to fit in US laptops so that you're "good to go" once the set-up packs arrives at your home.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by MB
    When we got Verizon DSL (excellent and reliable, by the way) here in the US, the set-up pack came with all the plugs, etc. I wonder whether -- if NZ phone jacks are different -- the equivalent NZ DSL set-up packs come with suitable jacks/plugs to fit in US laptops so that you're "good to go" once the set-up packs arrives at your home.
    No worries mate, all of the equipment sold here comes with the appropriate cables, etc.

U.S. telephone technology uses RJ11 connectors. NZ uses "BT" connectors. (FYI, you can use your U.S. phones with a RJ11/BT adapter here ). Keep your RJ11 phone cables too as you'll be able to use them as extensions, to connect to ADSL routers/modems and if needed you can buy adapters to use them to connect to NZ phone jacks as well.

RJ45 computer cables (modem to/from computer) are standard everywhere.

Cables and wires cost about twice as much here as they do at your local Target store, plan ahead.

Advise that you order service as soon as you can as it takes folks a while to get you up and running (took Telecom/Xtra about 2 weeks to get it all sorted for us). And there are still places here where you cannot get a high-speed connection...a whole other story. Here are some links to local ISP's

http://www.ihug.co.nz/

http://www.clear.net.nz/

http://xtramsn.co.nz/home/

In the meantime, there are still a lot of Cyber/Internet cafes available...if you can squeeze in between the fish-eyed kids playing video games for a few minutes!

rich

v helpful posting. have been in uk so long that reading anything thorough and well written makes my eyes mist. dont usually get teary over computers (well, not THAT way). this post should bring it back into easy access!

we should have had you do our ita.

Just bumping this thread up because I wanted to check on bringing my dehumidier over. FYI--found out the dehumidifier has a motor, sucks down 800 watts, needs a step-down transformer.

Thanks Rich, for this helpful thread!

Default US Vs NZ Electronics

Hi All :cool

Been away for a while. Thanks for the kinds words...here to serve!

Hope everyone is well and happy.

We're doing okay, busy at work; mine, (www.kiwicode.com) and Sandy's (www.worklinx.co.nz).

This electronics posting is still accurate if you were wondering...haven't blown anything up yet!

I just added a little warning...the power supply here is not as reliable as one would hope. We lose electricity about once or twice a month. Usually not for long, but long enough to have to go around and reset all of the clocks! :? To that end, I'd recommend buying surge protectors or power strips with surge protection for your valuable electronics.

We had a huge power spike a couple of months back and it blew out our oven (no surge protectors for ovens, so nothing we could do). We complained to the power company. (There are many here, we use Trust Power on a recommendation.) There was a lot of finger pointing..."we supply the power, but the lines are owned by someone else and it was caused by a contractor, blah, blah, blah." Almost all of our neighbours lost some appliance or other, fridge, dishwasher, computer, etc. In the end everyone filed insurance claims. Doubt if the insurance companies will go after the power company...just raise our rates!

Anyway, long story longer...protect your equipment!

Take care and hang in there...even in the dark it's worth it!

Default Re: US Vs NZ Electronics

Some comments on your advice

Quote Originally Posted by richsadams
    You can buy inexpensive (US$10 or so) converters for small appliances like telephones with answering machines (yes, they will work in NZ), or other low-voltage devices. They are usually adjustable for 120V or 240V and for various amps, 1 to 12.
    I take it you are talking about "wall warts", little power blocks.

“AC in 110V, DC out – 12V 9A”. That means it converts 110 volts to 12 volts, 9 amps.
    It wont say, 9 amps, trust me on this. It may say 1 amp, or 1.2 amps, but more likely something like 300mA.

These come in varieties, regulated and unregulated, and switch mode and transformer. Switchmodes tend to be universal input, ie they will work in both 110land and 220land, and are regulated, and are the best sort to get.

In Dick Smith here in NZ, they have a universal supply that does the lot that also works in 110V land, which is an example of the best thing to get, but probably cheaper in the USA. Dick Smith, $35

You can spend less.

For instance if a stereo listed 110 volts – 25 amps, it would be equal to 2,750 watts (110 x 25). In order to make it operate in NZ you would need a transformer that had an output of at least 2,750 watts.
    I know its an example, but its worth noting that a standard NZ wall outlet is 10A at 240V, 2400W. Mind you, a USA outlet is less...

Yes, you CAN use one transformer to run more than one item.
    You cant safely do this. Ok, it'll probably be OK, but a double fault situation can expose you to the full gusto of the mains voltage, but without any protection. Recommend using one transformer for one "thing". Or consult an expert and have a transformer fitted safely. Also recommend buying transformer in NZ, rather than elsewhere, as transformers available here are isolating not autotransformers, again much safer in fault situations. There have been some really dangerous autotransformers sold in NZ.

Thanks for all the info Rich & everyone! I've got a quick question for you though if you don't mind

I recently bought a little pre-amp for recording mics & guitars into my computer from the U.S, and on the AC Adaptor plug it says:

Input - 120VAC, 60Hz, 15W
    Output - 9VAC, 1 Amp (although on the back of the cardboard box it came in it says the power supply is 9VAC , 300mA)

Do I need a step-down transformer for this, or can I just buy a NZ wall-wart?

Sorry for being a bit dense about this...you've probably already explained it, but I'm just scared of frying it!

Thanks!

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast