Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 252627

Thread: US Vs NZ Electronics

You slip on a green/yellow sleeve where the cable is in a fitting or junction box. It's much safer that way.
    How would it be safer? I think by relying on sleeving is another element of trouble (as the tidiness of the work is only as good as the person on the job).

What I am impressed is the level of safety in NZ electrical code for residential. The standard is very high (and costly) for eg, the switchboard for newly built homes requiring only 3 breakers behind each RCD (GFI) breaker. Wet areas like the bathrooms no longer require RCD/GFI type electrical sockets as the whole house is RCD protected. A huge difference in safety requirement compared to N. American standard. I asked my uncle why the tough standard in NZ on residential homes? He said because the safety has to factor in the "HandyMan" / DIY margin of error. In commercial builds they don't require it because there's not the handyman DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    How would it be safer? I think by relying on sleeving is another element of trouble (as the tidiness of the work is only as good as the person on the job).
    Sorry, I meant that the non-insulated earth is safer, not the sleeving. The sleeving is simply used because the code says that the earth must be yellow and green.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    What I am impressed is the level of safety in NZ electrical code for residential. The standard is very high (and costly) for eg, the switchboard for newly built homes requiring only 3 breakers behind each RCD (GFI) breaker. Wet areas like the bathrooms no longer require RCD/GFI type electrical sockets as the whole house is RCD protected. A huge difference in safety requirement compared to N. American standard. I asked my uncle why the tough standard in NZ on residential homes? He said because the safety has to factor in the "HandyMan" / DIY margin of error. In commercial builds they don't require it because there's not the handyman DIY.
    Good description.

Any idea if Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI) are common in NZ? Came across these in our last house at the circuit breaker. My understanding is that arc electrical faults are most common cause of house fires in US and these circuits cut power when arcing is detected (besides the occassional arc when you plug something in).

Given that parts of Colorado was quite susceptible to lightning strikes, it was also quite common to see even lightning rods on some houses (15 cm spikes attached by large gauge copper along peak of roofline).

can a universal adapter be purchased to cover the house and all its appliances?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelrex View Post
    can a universal adapter be purchased to cover the house and all its appliances?
    'Universal Adapter' ? you mean a voltage step up / down transformer? If you wanted to power individual devices with a different voltage then yes there are many universal transformers. But to do a whole house is something else.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 252627