Thread: Entering on Work Permit/Visa prior to PR

Default Entering on Work Permit/Visa prior to PR

The Application for Residence Guide states on page 28 for those entering on a work visa :-

“You may also be required to pay duties and GST on your household effects if you are bringing them to NZ with you” and then refers on to : www.customs.govt.uk

Having found page :

http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...rges+Apply.htm

that states:

Your household or other related effects (excluding motor vehicles, boats and aircraft) will be admitted free of duty and exempt GST for a reasonable time after your arrive, provided you can meet all of the following requirements:
    • you are coming to New Zealand with the intention and legal authority to take up or resume permanent residence
    • you have lived outside New Zealand for the whole of the 21 months before the date of your arrival in New Zealand
    • you have owned and used the goods before the date of your departure for New Zealand
    • the goods are for your own personal use and not intended for any other person or persons or for gift, sale or exchange.
    T
    he key sentence of concern for me is “intention and legal authority”, legal authority to me implies must have PR?

It was my intention to go early on a work visa and do the NZQA/PR thing in parallel or later.

I must admit when starting out on this, getting a job was easy and one felt valued and wanted. Once you get into the NZIS/NZQA game your left to feel slightly different, as though you need NZIS/NZQA more than they need you.

If NZ real life is just as bureaucratic, then I may not be suited to the culture.

Why do highly skilled people have to work so hard jumping hoops at great time and expense, just to enter a low wage economy in a remote area of the Pacific?

If I had known this was going to be so frustrating, bureaucratic and expensive in the beginning I would have canned the idea of NZ long ago.

(Having a winge)
    Last edited by Rabbit; 18th March 2006 at 08:55 AM.

its not a problem with coming on a work visa, your intention and legal for upto 2 years with a work visa, you can then renew your visa or go for PR

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR
    its not a problem with coming on a work visa, your intention and legal for upto 2 years with a work visa, you can then renew your visa or go for PR
    Thanks SteveR, that is good news.

Why cant they just say this in the documentation, rather than sending people on a wild internet goose chase, with the associated stress and hassle?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Thanks SteveR, that is good news.

Why cant they just say this in the documentation, rather than sending people on a wild internet goose chase, with the associated stress and hassle?
    Cos they are sick bunnies

Seriously though - winging is (imho) part of the process and perfectly valid. Its a tough thing to emigrate - and many a time we wondered why they cry out for skilled migrants while making it so difficult to get through the system.

I have a feeling that once you get here - you will find much less beauracracy. A lot of things DO seem so much easier to accomplish (maybe thats just me). You are likely to find downsides - but to my mind - its probably worth giving it a go. It doesnt nessasarily have to forever

[QUOTE=Avalon]Cos they are sick bunnies

Seriously though - winging is (imho) part of the process and perfectly valid. Its a tough thing to emigrate - and many a time we wondered why they cry out for skilled migrants while making it so difficult to get through the system.
    QUOTE]

Thanks Avalon, I think it was the eight weeks, eleven visits, 300 miles travel and the extra £1000 Consultant costs to support the explaination why by blood count was 1 point over the norm that was starting to get me down. Well, that and the £150 train fare to travel down to New Zealand House just to here that they wanted more information about a minor job I had had for 9 months out of my total 30 years experience. Is this the only way a 20 year old Clerk can assess my professional experience?

e.g. NZIS:- "can you go back to that employer and get a reference and also get them to stipulate the start and end date?" even though my employer has taken formal references from them.

I am supposed to start the job in a couple of weeks, and I still need to book removals, flights and agree associated dates.

I think with NZIS and NZQA, your are guilty until proven innocent, and they have no problem spending your money or time.

Perhaps, see it as a game and be prepaired to play to their rules.

We only have about 255 points.

If it all goes on for much longer, I am going to tell them we dont want the jobs and that it is all too much hassle.

I am reasonably healthy, I am not a criminal, very well educated, masses of experience and high net worth with no debts, both with job offers - what more do they want?

The section in the "Application for Residence guide" asking for photo's of me and my Partner together, to prove Partnership really did make me laugh!

Interestingly for the work visa, they ask for about the same amount of evidence as the ITA, based on copies and charge £80. The ITA asks for orignals or certified copies and then charges about £585 and takes three weeks longer, oh and at the same time can you pay the migrant levy?

I am starting to wonder what do they actually do with all the information you supply and why it all takes so long?

IF NZQA certifies a Post Graduate Diploma or other qualification once, then why dont they just add it to the list? - why dont they recognise CAT points which is the UK University standard? - NZQA - a money making bureacracy or job creation scheme? The idea of having a partial and a full assessment must have been a fantastic money making idea? e.g. how can we drag all this out and make even more money?

Not to mention the NZIS £1 per minute help line
    Last edited by Rabbit; 18th March 2006 at 11:58 PM.

What's a "Work Visa" ? Would that be a "Work to Residence" ?

Or a "working holiday visa" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dozzer
    What's a "Work Visa" ? Would that be a "Work to Residence" ?

Or a "working holiday visa" ?
    This link will give you the explanation to your questions : http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/

Default Appolgies

Well, I know I winged on about the whole process and I must admit I was getting to the end of my teather and I probably owe a few people an appolgy.

NZIS have turned up trumps and have issued a two year work visa in two working days.I will be submitting my PR application in a few days before I fly out, and I will let the whole PR thing trundle on at its own speed.

The NZIS people have a strict process to follow, but I have found them very caring, considerate and helpful and I think they genuinely understand the sort of stress and pressures we people go through and try to help when they can.

So once again, thank you to the people at NZIS, appologies if I winged on a bit.

I found a swedish proverb - says something like winge less, breath more; I think they mean take a few deep breaths.

[QUOTE=Rabbit]
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon

I am reasonably healthy, I am not a criminal, very well educated, masses of experience and high net worth with no debts, both with job offers - what more do they want?
    I have asked myself the same question. I have a PhD degree, many years of Exp., healthy and never commited to crime. Have also a govermental permanant job offer. What they need more? It is the bureacracy indeed.
    [QUOTE=Rabbit]
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
    IF NZQA certifies a Post Graduate Diploma or other qualification once, then why dont they just add it to the list? - why dont they recognise CAT points which is the UK University standard? - NZQA - a money making bureacracy or job creation scheme? The idea of having a partial and a full assessment must have been a fantastic money making idea? e.g. how can we drag all this out and make even more money?

Not to mention the NZIS £1 per minute help line
    Yes, it is obviously the reason why they have NZQA is to create jobs for people. Why not satisfied with perliminary assessment? if they recognize the degrees after Preliminary online assessment, why the hell should one go through a long process of Full assessment, sending original documents and paying lot of money? On which basis did they have that list of recognized qualifications? I do not know. Although the list seems very stupid and strange. Why not including all countries? If they recognize a certificate of some institution, why they do not add it to the list?
    This way many jobs will be cut in QA, and more money and time will be saved for applicants, but who's care about applicants?