Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard or Soft ?......

Default Hard or Soft ?......

Whats the water like in your part of New Zealand ?

I have always lived in soft water areas (both here in the UK and abroad) so although I am of aware of the problems that hard water can cause, I have never had first hand experience of them and quite frankly, I wouldn't know where to start or how to cope with the limescale problems. I'm thinking here about shower heads, washing machines etc...

If your water is hard and you have a hot-tub (yes, I'm DETERMINED to have one, interest rates and OH permitting !!) would hard water have an adverse affect or do you just use some kind of tablet etc?

Julie

xx

Hi Julie

It seems to me from your post that you are specialized in Water. Well, as a hydrogeologist, I can say the water in NZ is not hard !! (at least in my area). But I think if it is , you can use flitration unit to remove the excess of HCO3. I believe water in NZ has HCO3 concentration under that World Health Organization maximum limit (which is 350 mg/l)
    I hope I answered your question

Hi bpk.

I am afraid that you are giving me credit where it is definitely NOT due, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

Its nice to know that at least I SOUND intelligent

I'm sure that if parts of NZ do have hard water that there will indeed be ways to combat it, its just that personally, I have never had to deal with such problems and wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks for your response bpk.

Julie

xx

Damn you Julie........you made me look!

Quote Originally Posted by willsken
    Damn you Julie........you made me look!

Well, it could have been worse........I was thinking of giving this thread the title of 'How Hard is Yours ?'

Julie

xx

New Plymouth - very soft water, don't need conditioner in washing machines and no water marks on glasses when you wash them up and leave to dry. However, water tastes awful - very metallic. Something that NP district council is aware of and plans to do something about via work on the water plant. Also, water is included in rates (council tax) which is great! and rates are less than UK council tax although some properties run on trickle feed water supplies and others on metered supplies, varies around the area. Some have main sewerage and others have septic tanks. need to check out when you buy properties.

18 months on and the kettle we bought on arrival is as clean inside as it was the day we bought it - no scale, no nuffin'... water here (can only talk about Chch) seems really nice, not sure if it still has the title of the best drinking water in the world but it sure comes close...

However, since moving here (50km outside of chch in Selwyn District) I've noticed I have blue staining from the water - any clues (I can only assume high copper at this point)... assume this won't kill us

Soft water in Auckland, kettle stays clean for its lifetime, I came from Bristol where the water was very hard, over there I had to keep a marble in the kettle it seemed to help a bit!

Great question Julie ( and great title!). Relieved to hear it's soft in Auckland. Cardiff water is very soft: I don't use fabric conditioner at all and we don't put salt in the dishwasher. Kettles would last forever, except they only seem to live six months these days. (That is, except the £4.97 Tesco special we bought that will not die!) I would never have thought of asking this, but it's a useful thing to know.
    Cheers
    Gil

Hi Julie, we have soft water here in the waikato, took our hair a while to get used to it, had to wash it every night as it always seemed greasy, but it has settled down now, also water never seems to get very cold, no matter how long you run it for.

Elaine (Kim 39's OH)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast