Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working as a GP in Auckland

Default Working as a GP in Auckland

Dear all

I am a new member to this site, I was wondering if anybody could advise me on current climate for working as a GP in the auckland area. My other half is a GP and has been for the last 15 years. We are looking at moving to NZ beginning of next year, all I have read is that availability for GP's is the more rural areas. Is this true or would there be work for him in the inner cities? I am 4 months from qualifying as a registered nurse in the UK, what are the jobs availability for me? I am fortunate enough not to have to go through the points system as I am Australian born holding a current Australian passport, but am curious as to whether there are a numerous amount of nursing vacancies.
    Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
    Lee

Hi Lee

I'm sorry, I don't have the answer to your questions about GP's etc. I'm sure someone will have though.

But I wanted to say welcome to the forum.

Hi Smiler

Thank you for your kind greeting, hopefully somebody may know some of my questions.

Regards

Lee

Hi Lee

I really don’t think either of you will find it difficult to find work in NZ, you could probably pick where you wanted to work, rather than worry about where you could find work.

I understood your question much better when you mentioned you had an Oz passport, because of the size of Au, medical staff are often actively recruited into rural areas to provide much needed cover. Although rural cover is obviously needed here in NZ too, I don’t think the situation is as desperate as Au (simply a size thing, Au is after-all simply vast)

http://www.enterprise.co.nz/ recruit GP’s in Auckland

http://www.bfound.net/login.aspx?applyTo=none&CoId=142

the above is I guess what I’d call a GP franchise

Nurses are needed here too, my advice would be to forget the recruitment companies. Choose where you want to live and check out the Local Health Authority website.

Here is an ongoing position for an RN where I live http://www.healthcarehb.co.nz/vacanc...ategory=Nurses

Two jobs here for your hubby (just down the road from the hospital)

http://www.rnzcgp.org.nz/membership/locums.php

Hope that’s been helpful

Bob

P.S. I didn’t say welcome to the forum, sorry about that and welcome!

Dear Bob

Thank you very much for your kind information, I guess it is like anything new you worry about income. As I am a stranger in New Zealand and am unaware of how things work your end with regard to gaining employment I kind of fret a bit!!!! Your message had made a huge difference in how I am thinking. Thank you!

When you said there are two jobs for my OH do you mean GP work or positions within a hospital setting? Asking only I think he has been out of the hospitals for too long NOT sure if he would know what to do with a drip anymore!!!!

Look forward to your response and thank you once again for your information and your kind welcome onto this forum.

Regards

Lee

Hi Lee,

The positions I spotted are for GPs in urban areas, here’s the ad. They are GP positions, not positions for Hospital Doctors (or in hospitals).

Hawke's Bay
    Vacancy in 2 GP urban practice in Hastings. Partner/locum/assistant
    whichever arrangement suits best. Medtech 32, refurbished premises. Good
    income.
    Contact Email: alan_wright@xtra.co.nz or Ph: (06) 8788999, or 021 2544145

Best wishes Bob

P.S. the RN position in Hawkes Bay is also in Hastings.

Quote Originally Posted by smiler
    Hi Lee

I'm sorry, I don't have the answer to your questions about GP's etc. I'm sure someone will have though.

But I wanted to say welcome to the forum.

as per Smiler, no help in question just WELCOME

and bob seems to be a fountain of knowledge anyway

Kat

Hi Lee

Just thought I would add that yes Nurses are in short supply here but that it does depend very much on your speciality, level of experience and where you want to work.

Firstly you will need to be qualified for 3 months to apply for registration with the New Zealand Nursing Council, the registration process can take some time as you are very dependant on others to send back necessary paperwork its a minimum of 3 months but I am working with some nurses who have taken much longer.

New Zealand operates a very good New Graduate programme for its nurses so newly qualified nurses coming from the UK may find it difficult to find work if they time it with NZ new grads starting. My company and others tend to look for overseas nurses with a minimum of 1 years experience.

My advice would be to get as much post grad experience in the UK as possible, prepare yourself for the registration process and keep your options on location open. As many nurses experience delays with registration more and more people are looking for nurses who have started or made significant progress with registration.

I would suggest that you concentrate on your exams plan for your move over here but that its far too early to apply for jobs.

I wish you luck

Michelle

Hi Lee.

Just found your post so .....

WELCOME TO THE FOURUM.

Can't help with your questions I'm afraid, but just wanted to say welcome to you and your family.

Julie

xx

Dear Michelle

Thank you for your info, I qualify in the UK in August, We do not intent to come to NZ until July/August 07 I am planning to gain my work experience as a practice nurse in the community (already have that lined up after qualification) I hope to have at least a year before the move to NZ. Do you think that will be enough? Is there much need for community nursing out in NZ? Plan to put myself on courses which will give me Cytology, Vaccinations (including child), wound care, and mostly chronic disease training. What do you think?

Your advise would be most grateful.

Thanks once again

Regards

Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast