Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a house at auction....GULP!

Default Just bought a house at auction....GULP!

OK so we finally did it…we managed to buy a house!

The auction process as I have mentioned before is bizarre and none more so than our experience today! I am happy to report however I think we have bucked the trend! Read on………….

We viewed our prospective property three weeks ago and tried to suck as much information about the vendors expectations out of the salesman as possible…but no joy….cards very close to chest. He then tried to suck out of me how much we thought the place was worth…”hard to say” I said ”it would need a lot of work to get it how we wanted it, but if it goes for the right price it’s worth investing in” A real cat and mouse game! Having viewed early in the marketing campaign it allowed us a cooling off period which as I have mentioned before (on the old forum) is in my opinion vital. We did our homework and set our budget to buy which in this case we set at NZ$550K max.

Judging by the many properties we have viewed in the East Coast Bays we guessed it would sell for between NZ$540K to NZ$580K and we did not hold out too much hope of being the successful bidder. Auctions are funny affairs and you just never know f you've paid too much! The property comprises a single level dwelling of “permanent materials” (fortunately for us) on a 1200m2 section with sea views across the Hauraki Gulf, such properties always command a premium. It is situated down a private right of way and is 2 minutes walk to the local primary and intermediate school which both have very good reputations.

The turn out was like Ladies Day at Ascot …except no hats and no posh suits, no posh nosh and no horses….actually it was nothing like Ladies Day at all…it just sounded good! Anyway it was a good turn out of about 30 people and I thought OK too much interest, auction fever will drive the price up!

Too cut to the chase the bidding started at NZ$380K (by the auctioneer) and to my surprise stopped with yours truly at NZ$485K! I was then taken inside for a chat and told that the vendor was looking for NZ$500K as a reserve and would I meet it! “No I wont” I said but I will meet them half way at NZ$493K. They took this offer back to the vendor and I was then asked to step back outside where the auctioneer promptly put the house back to the other bidders for offers higher than NZ$493K…….BIZZARE……..totally bizarre and just not cricket!! What do you think!

The real laugh is that we would have paid up to NZ$550K for it! Furthermore if the vendor had named his price of NZ$500K instead of going to auction we would have gladly paid it! As it transpires we think we got a bargain!!!! We have seen 500m2 sections in the area being sold for NZ$440K with a peep of the sea if you build up to maximum permitted height!

RESULT ………........AWESOME :P ………………STOKED!

Karl

awesome!! that is wonderful news...good for you!!!!

(have you read Jenmans book "dont sign anything" you followed him to the letter)

You did good,

party at yours! when do you move in?

Nicky

Geez, karl,

Where else but NZ could you have gotten this much drama, excitement and suspense for a mere $493,000???

Well done!! You know we're hanging out for pictures now, right??

All the best, Rae

Wat to go Karl. It sounds like you played the vendor at his own game and won. The house sounds wonderfull, overlooking the Gulf as well. Well done. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well done Karl

What a strange process it is! I don't think I could have stood the nail-biting stress of it all. As Raeven said , when do we see the piccies.

hiya congratulations, I don't envy you the apprehension you must have felt at the auction, i'm bad enough buying secondhand shop fittings at an auction.

Sometimes its not the vendor that wants to auction but because the market is changing all the time here the agents, I think, are reluctant to fix a price. As you say a lot depends on who turns up on the day and how much they want the property. Enjoy it. Veronica

Thanks for once again sharing your experiences with us!

Auctions, open tenders, closed tenders, buyer beware... is anyone else contemplating the advantages of simply living in your shipping boxes?

Wow that sounds great, but how did you keep your cool?

Well done Karl and thanks for sharing it with us

Thanks to you all for your positive responses and good wishes!

My tips...and I'm no expert!!!

1. do your research on the local property market, at council offices and using something like ,www.quotable.co.nz, to get a feel of what the market price is.

2. never give away what you think a property is worth to the salesperson.

3. no matter how much you like a place be prepared to walk away if the price/deal is not right!!!!! Try not to get emotionally attached to something before you own it this will only weaken your position.

4. If you don't get it don't despair it wasn't meant to be....another property as good or even better will soon turn up.

5. don't be worried if huge numbers of people turn up...auctions are a spectator sport in NZ and not everyone will be bidding. We had about 30+ turn up at our auction and I thought we were sunk as it turned out there were only two really serious bidders!

Hi Kiwi,

Never heard of Jennmans book but I have read NZ Real Estate Secrets by Andy Gilbert! This was bought me by a friend for my birthday......it saved me a lot of money and gives a good insight into the processes working for and against vendor and purchaser.

Karl :cool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast