Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to live in Auckland....

Default where to live in Auckland....

Dear All

I am a new member to this forum, We are looking at moving next year to Auckland. I purchased the book "where to live in Auckland", although extremley interesting reading, I am now totally confused as to what the book describes as an upmarket area in comparison with the average middle class area.

We are a family of two girls aged 7 and 9, I am obviously looking for them to attend a good school, and although we are planning on renting initially, I do not want to fall into the trap of moving the girls around from school to school (happened to me - went 15 schools in total!!!) hence looking to get it right first time Can anyone help???

Regards

Lee

The age old question. It will of course depend on where you will be working, how much you have to spend and what are your "must haves" for your lifestyle. We are moving out to Half Moon Bay (I work in the CBD, but it is only a 30 minute ferry trip away), near Howick and it seems quite a few people on this forum have settled there. Houses are good value for money, you get houses with a decent back yard and the schools are generally excellent. But there are of course other good areas, anywhere in the Grammar Zone being one, but house prices are ferocious there and so you may not get much for your money. Could you give us all some idea as to what your key "must haves" are?

Hi Wannaway

Thank you for your response, My key musts are good schools and a "Nice leafy" suburb. We are fortunate to be in the position to have Approx 220.000 cash which we intend to eventually buy a house with cash, (don't really want a morgage if can help it!) I quite like the area of Howick and I have heard that the Bucklands Beach area seems very nice, I am not sure whether you know anything about that area in your research. At the moment neither of us are secured in employment positions, and would be difficult to know where to live based on a job as my line of work means that I have to look around at different health authorities.

What made you choose the Half Moon Bay area? as opposed to areas such as east coast ie St Heliers? is it expensive to live around there?

Look forward to your reply

And thank you once again for your information

Regards
    Lee

I understand the drive off Bucklands Beach can be difficult in the morning, it's pensula, with only 1 road off it

Have you thought about the North Shore (Upper and Lower East Coast Bays). My family live in Howick and it is a nice spot (Cockle Bay, Half Moon Bay, Mellons Bay etc) but the drive in can be very bad and the Kiwis do have a thing about it being East Auckland (this appears to mean that there can be problem areas - not that we ever saw any, except for Maratai on a bank holiday!).

The North Shore can be a bottle neck to get over the harbour bridge but then again sitting in a traffic queue over the water with the sun shining didn't seem too bad. If you go higher up the coast then you get on to the motorway quicker. Good schooling, beachy lifestyle and some really nice spots. Definately the leafy suburbs, ladies-who-lunch areas are on the north shore. Waitemata District Health board has I think it's main site near Takapuna.

Nashlee,

Will send you a PM.

Wannaway

Dear Lisa T

Thank you for your info, have been looking at Half Moon Bay, and surrounding areas, will definately look at them when we come out to check things out.

I must admit not thought about Takapuna, Do you have anymore info about this suburb?

Thank you once again

Regards

Lee

I live in Devonport just down the road from Takapuna. If you work in the city Devoport is great and I can get from home to work in 20 mins using a ferry, if you need to drive though its at the end of a peninsula so one road in and out. North Shore Hospital is in Takapuna but the drive doesn't involve the bridge and thats what you want to avoid. I wouldn't live anywhere else in the city we have beaches, great cafes, and real village and community feel. Although there has been lots of sub division its come to halt now and many of the houses cannot be touched as a result the place has retained a lot of character. Takapuna is where I do most of my shopping and its also great but for me Devonport wins. Have a look a www.devonport.co.nz

Michelle

Default Suburb profile

I was pointed in the direction of a link:

www.propertystuff.co.nz

It details property for sale but has a suburb profile facility which sort of gives a graph showing type of people, income bands, families, singles etc in the area. It's quite useful and certainly shows where property prices are high. Also the North Shore City council has a great website with loads of information on.

You could look at the Pohutukawa coast, very nice
    http://www.pohutukawacoast.co.nz/view.asp?PageNo=0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast