Thread: radio controlled clocks

Default radio controlled clocks

We've a radio-controlled clock here in the UK. It picks up the signal from the atomic clock in Rugby. Do they work in NZ?(i.e. is there a similar service in NZ?)

Bizarre question, I know! Sorry

Cheers

David

Good question! I have one too (clock that is)!

DUNNO.Is there an ARGOS equivilent in NZ- if radio controlled clocks are in their online catalogue then that would be a yes- no????

I don't believe that Rugby will reach NZ, neither will the German or American services, so I think the answer is no. There is no Argos equivalent here

Rugby definitely won't reach NZ!

But, if there is a local transmitter using the same frequency of broadcast etc then perhaps it will work!

The UK ones work on the european mainland...do they work in the states? If so the system might be world standard.

Mind you, this is a lot of fuss for my kitchen clock!

David

Each of the radio clock systems uses a different message format, they are not interchangable. According to RSM's SMART, there lowest licenced frequency in use in NZ is 210KHz, which is miles above the 60KHz of typical time broadcasts.

Default Radio control clocks in NZ?

Yes, even though the 60khz signal from MSF (Rugby) is capable of travelling great distances, I do not think it capable of reaching NZ. It seems all the time signal information in NZ is derived from Radio NZ International, using standard radios.

These signals are provided because there is a world wide mass market for "Radio Controlled Clocks", often termed "Atomic (accuracy) Clocks", which automatically synchronise themselves to these LF signals. The LF band has the advantage that its waves penetrate deep into buildings, making for almost "universal" coverage in those regions where transmitters exist. We see these "atomic clocks" advertised in international publications, including Sky & Telescope, but because there are no transmitters in New Zealand or Australia these clocks will not self-correct in our region.
    This is a couple of years old this information, and may have changed, but I doubt it.

Until the National Standards Commissions in our region decide to build suitable transmitters, these LF synchronised clocks are of no use to us in New Zealand or Australia.
    Hope this helps! Do a search on international time signals if you need any further information.

Steve

Thanks everyone! I guess I'll give my clock away.

Yup - I had one of those - I was sure it would work over here but it didn't - it ended up in the bin!!

Tanya