Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping boxes?!?!

Default Shipping boxes?!?!

Hi,

I'm trying to visualise how much space we'll need to ship our stuff, but I dunno how much stuff you can fit into a box - We have over 420 DVDs, about how many will I be able to fit in a box?

Luckily we aren't taking a great deal over with us!!

How big's the box?

Sorry couldn't resist that.

Are you just shipping a few boxes? If so, you can get estimates of what goes in a box from companies like this http://www.cargobookers.co.uk/

Don't forget the weight of boxes after you have packed them. You (or the shippers) need to be able to lift them without slipping a disc.

If not, get some shippers round to quote for space in a shared container, but this takes longer to get to NZ generally.

Smile Shipping DVD's

Hello there,

We also had a large number of DVD's & CD's to ship over. If I remember correctly, we managed to get about 200 DVD's in to a tea chest ('Pack Two' by Britannia's scheme of boxes). If they are in CD cases then obviously you can double that ammount, but the removal people have to be able to lift it safely.

If shipping groupage be prepared to wait a while for your belongings. Ours were collected on 14th of Feb and are due in Wellington on 5th May. However, if you are only shipping a small ammount of boxes it should be pretty cheap. We ended up with about 150 cu feet which cost about £1000 to ship groupage. I think a tea chest is about 4 cu feet.

If you are looking for insurance contact Letton Percival in Liverpool (0151 236 4568-info@lettonpercival.co.uk) they were half the price of everyone else and really easy to deal with.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ian.

Yeehaaay for Letton Percival. They were efficient, professional, and dealt with our claim quickly. 1.5% rate.

Smiler - you've just answered a question I was going to ask, about LP's ability to pay out if any claims were made. Given that their charges are about half those of the shipping companies, we were just wondering if they were 'all above board' so to speak

As anyone else had any experience of claims with them?

Thanks,

Emily

Emily

I can't fault them. I emailed about the claim and they sent a loss adjuster (Flintoff's) the next day from Wellington. He came to the house, took pics and made a list. I got the estimates for replacement/repair and forwarded them on to him. He completed the action for LP and LP mailed me to say the Marine insurers were paying out, (less the excess) and where did I want the money to go. It took me more time to get the estimates together but that was because I was busy.

There is a fee if you have the payout in NZ$ but we had it go into the UK bank account, that suited us.

LP's form's were simple to fill in, we also sent them pics of the bikes, car and other valuables before they were taken away by the shipper. (polaroids, not digital although we took both) and attached them to the forms. We received our policy back by return of post. When their email server went down, they emailed me from their home email addy.

We were more than happy with their service.

The shippers we spoke to wouldn't go that low with the insurance rate and all seemed to use the same marine insurance company in Guildford, but I forget their name now.

Hope this helps.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Ebeee
    Hello there,

We also had a large number of DVD's & CD's to ship over. If I remember correctly, we managed to get about 200 DVD's in to a tea chest ('Pack Two' by Britannia's scheme of boxes). If they are in CD cases then obviously you can double that ammount, but the removal people have to be able to lift it safely.

If shipping groupage be prepared to wait a while for your belongings. Ours were collected on 14th of Feb and are due in Wellington on 5th May. However, if you are only shipping a small ammount of boxes it should be pretty cheap. We ended up with about 150 cu feet which cost about £1000 to ship groupage. I think a tea chest is about 4 cu feet.

If you are looking for insurance contact Letton Percival in Liverpool (0151 236 4568-info@lettonpercival.co.uk) they were half the price of everyone else and really easy to deal with.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ian.
    cool, I think I may be able to do a bit of shopping then as we have way less than that....oooh cant wait for monday to see how much it will cost!

I have only been off a week - and it feels like a MONTH!...the waiting is killing me but I know my daughter will go nuts if we bring the flights forward!

Quote Originally Posted by katandbob
    cool, I think I may be able to do a bit of shopping then as we have way less than that....oooh cant wait for monday to see how much it will cost!

I have only been off a week - and it feels like a MONTH!...the waiting is killing me but I know my daughter will go nuts if we bring the flights forward!
    Whites (leeds) finally came in with their quote....(came on 10th April)

5 china boxes, 4 mirror boxes 4 book boxes was what the estimator put down on his quote.......
    the letter when it finally arrived yesterday (wrong address on envelope!)

£650 +vat & demmurage, this was a groupage for 60 cu feet.

because they didnt get back to us quickly I contacted Cargobookers, I have everything into their free packing boxes.........and this is 1cubic metre.

£250 was their price.....I have one picture and some charts in a tube that wont fit, but they said just buy a box that is an international packing standard and it will be fine (or stick 2 of theirs together) I am off to buy it today, and hopefully cargo will pick our stuff up next week,

I will post the final amount when they give me it.

PS I fitted all our dvds in a box that was the same height as the dvds, and its all packed up neatly to go with the other boxes. (hope they are fine!)

Will email LP for a quote

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by smiler
    Emily

I can't fault them. I emailed about the claim and they sent a loss adjuster (Flintoff's) the next day from Wellington. He came to the house, took pics and made a list. I got the estimates for replacement/repair and forwarded them on to him. He completed the action for LP and LP mailed me to say the Marine insurers were paying out, (less the excess) and where did I want the money to go. It took me more time to get the estimates together but that was because I was busy.

There is a fee if you have the payout in NZ$ but we had it go into the UK bank account, that suited us.

LP's form's were simple to fill in, we also sent them pics of the bikes, car and other valuables before they were taken away by the shipper. (polaroids, not digital although we took both) and attached them to the forms. We received our policy back by return of post. When their email server went down, they emailed me from their home email addy.

We were more than happy with their service.

The shippers we spoke to wouldn't go that low with the insurance rate and all seemed to use the same marine insurance company in Guildford, but I forget their name now.

Hope this helps.

D
    Hi Smiler,

Can I ask some dumb questions here....

* how much was the excess?
    * see the excess.... is that per claim or per item ? eg: if a box of china got smashed, would I pay one excess for the whole box or per item of china. Also, if I had 1 box of china and the TV got smashed, would that be 1 or 2 excess charges ?
    * if you packed the boxes yourself, are you still covered?
    * how much is the charge you mention for having the payment in NZ $?

Glad to hear you had no problems with your claim

Milliemoo

Hi Milliemoo

Not dumb questions at all, what I knew before about insurance claims I could have written on the back of a stamp.

* how much was the excess?

Excess for the personal effects was 100 GBP and 250 GBP for the car.

* see the excess.... is that per claim or per item ? eg: if a box of china got smashed, would I pay one excess for the whole box or per item of china.

It's per claim but we had one policy for the car and another for the personal effects so there were 2 excess charges.

*Also, if I had 1 box of china and the TV got smashed, would that be 1 or 2 excess charges ?

One excess charge

* if you packed the boxes yourself, are you still covered?

We didn't pack much ourselves and they were covered, but some shippers and insurers won't cover you if you pack yourself. There is a thread by G&K about this from a while ago.

* how much is the charge you mention for having the payment in NZ $?

If they had sent cheque or wire transfer in NZ$ it was about 30 GBP. Or they would have sent a sterling cheque to us here free. I asked them to sent it to my sis in UK who banked it for me.

The inventory was done in GBP in UK when we were packing, the NZ assessor and estimates for damage were done in NZ$, (I had to convert the replacement fee of stuff into NZ$) and the whole claim went back to the UK and was converted into pounds again. Phew!
    HTH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast