Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rights and benefits

Default Rights and benefits

Greetings….
    I was wondering if somebody can help. I am looking for a web site or document that explain the rights and benefits of being NZ resident as well a site or document of being NZ citizen

Thanks a lot in advanced.

Good idea - I too would like to know what these are as I explore NZ options.

I’m a little confused by your question, when you say benefits do you mean money when your out of work, or do you mean what is the benefit of being an NZ resident/citizen?

Kind Regards Bob

Benefits , like if you are a resident can you vote or can you own a property and what kind of goverment assistance you will be entitle being a resident vs being citizen.

Also as resident can you a apply to govermet job or goverment office?

Residents have pretty much the same rights as citizens from what I can make out, you can vote after a year in the country, get tax benefits, children go to school etc..

Advantages to actual Citizenship are NZ Passport, and you can't be kicked out for commiting serious criminal offences (which can be done if you are just a resident).

as a citizen, as I understand it you can leave the country indefinately and still come back when you want to. not sure if and how long you can leave as a resident and still be eligible to come back. anyone out there able to confirm this. Oh and you can as a citizen go and live in Australia if you want to, but as a resident you can't

There are certain goverment jobs that you can't do without becomign a citizen, you can't be a police officer, join the army or work for some goverment military departments, but it's only a few jobs.

Also if you are convicted of a crime that carries punishment of more than 3 years imprisonment, your residence can be revoked and you can be deported. This can't happen as a citizen.

You can't stand for public office, you can't be a member of parliment or serve on the local council.

Also as a citizen, you get a NZ passport that entitles you to live in Aussie, and can get visitors permits to many other countries. If you have a US/EU passport it's not much of an issue, but if you have a third world passport it's much easier to travel on a NZ passport.

Also, residents are eligible for state-funded health care.

Thank you very much for all the response. I really appreciate it. It is very informative.

there may also be a connection between citizenship and being able to sponser your family members for immigration. the wait for citizenship is 5 years, the wait to be able to sponser family members under the "family quota" category is 5 years. maybe it's coincidence, or maybe you have to be a citizen...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast