Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Salary, Salary, Salary !!!!!

Helen thank you very much for everything you are doing for us!!!

Ned & Sania xx

I'd take the figures you see on the goverment web site with a big pinch of salt. I don't believe that people really earn $17,000 a year. I'd suggest you contact a health authority and try and get job values from them directly, I think it'd be way higher.

The other cost of living we prices were fairly close, although petrol is way off, $1.16 was the price this time last year, but it's gone up everywhere.

I do think prices in NZ are cheaper relative to incomes, than in the UK. For instance we had a very nice brunch for two today at the oasis cafe on Eastern beach in Auckland (off topic but it was fab and I heartly recomend) , with a couple of coffees plus OJ. Total cost was equivlent to 1 hours wages pre tax in NZ. In the UK, we'd have been looking at 2 - 2.5 hours income.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf
    I'm afraid I know nothing about the salaries for the occupations you mention, but in my opinion in areas where the housing is $250k the jobs are either lower paid, there's a fair commute or opportunities are scant... in the only City I have personal experience of, Chch, a $250k house isn't going to be in the nicest of areas (imho )... but then I don't know what lifestyle you want, or need, and a "bad" area for me might be an area you would be happy with...
    Have been begining to check out house prices in the Rangiora area, and some 3 beds seem to be at around $260 - $300k. I have only been looking in the real estate windows at the moment, although there is one for sale in our street and it is on a back section. I am not sure if all the house in this range will be on back sections or not, we havent really got that far. (and this is not necessarily a bad thing, depending on your point of view.) PLUS they do seem to be very nice houses, not unlike the house we are renting currently, which IMHO is just the kind of house I would be happy to buy. The houses here are newer and more likely to be permanent materials (Bricks etc)...OK, to expand on Moorfs comments, She is quite right: in Rangiora you have a fair commute to town (30-40 mins) and the opportunities for local employment are scant. However, IMHO it couldnt be classed as a "bad" area, Its just not in "town"......

That is a valuable way of looking at things JubJub, look at it in hourly pay as opposed to exchange rate. I mean, how much does it cost for just a couple of coffees in Starbucks? I you added OJ and food to that it would come to much more than many peoples "hourly rate". Had 2 hot chocolates and 2 basic coffees last week with a pack of caramel wafers, and that came to 10!! Quite scary really and off topic, sorry.

Thanks everyone for your help , we do appreciate it !!!

Ned & Sania

At the library I was paid $12 / hr - I'm not sure I could find brunch for two for $12 around here...... I could get a wheelbarrow of chips from the chippy for $5 but not brunch in a nice cafe .....

Brunch for 2 was very nice, although my salary is probably pretty good by NZ terms.

I tend to try and put every purchase into context of how long I have to work to pay for it. Surprising how many things I discover I don't really want when they equate to quite a few hours.

Hi Ned and Sania,

I think you are right to find out as much as you can before you leave to come here. Healthcare assistants will earn around $10.50-$13 here. If you have qualifications in this area, or if you train while on the job, you can earn more as pay will often increase after gaining qualifications (as a way of encouraging better standards through training).

As you do not have children you can afford to look at smaller properties which will be cheaper. Bear in mind also that if you work at a hospital they often have very cheap accomodation. This may be an option for you to start with while you get yourself settled and are more confident about where you want to live. In the hospital where I work there are rooms to rent in shared houses for around $75 a week. There can be couples who live in these houses, sharing with other people. The great thing is that you have no bills as these are included (electric, gas, rates) and not far to travel to work!!!! (as they are on hospital grounds or nearby). Worth checking this out as a starting point for when you arrive. You can stay there just a week or two or longer term. They may have different options (houses for rent for just one couple?) so check this out too. There are generally vacancies in our hospital accommodation too. If you get a job with a hospital, just ask their accomodation department. Our hospital accommodation can even be rented by those who don't work at the hospital but who work in other caring industries.

Just a thought,

good luck, hannah

Thanks a lot Hannah
    It was very helpful.

Ned & Sania

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123