Thread: Cost of Moving boxes from Port to Door

Default Cost of Moving boxes from Port to Door

Hi I will be arranging for my stuff to be delivered door to door but the prices that they quoted us from Wellington port to our Wellington address is way beyond our budget. Would anyone here recommend how we can move our stuff from wellington port? and how much it will cost us? planning to do the big move in June.

Thanks....

Hi Boojazi

First of all welcome to the forum. [img]images/smilies/rae%27s_dancing_banana.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/rae%27s_dancing_banana.gif[/img]

Are you paying a shipper to do all this for you? If so it should be included in your quote ie door to door. Or are you moving so many km's outside Wellington that they want to charge extra? Can you clarify this for me?

I believe the rules changed last year and you are not allowed to collect anything from the port yourself ( unless this was just the boswellox I was given by New Zealand Van Lines, in order for them to add to the large amount we had already paid)

Default cost of moving boxes from port to door

Thanks Smiler, actually I asked for a quote for door to door. But the charges from Wellington Port to my doorstep is 2x the amount the cost of shipping my stuff from my country to Wellington. Tsk tsk... So i was thinking maybe i should do clearance myself at the port and just move my stuff by hiring a local mover. I thought i would save some money since my stuff are just books and some clothes and some tools (12 boxes). One company, the moving company will charge me 110 NZD per hour to move my stuff this includes, a truck and 2 people. What do you think? is it worthwhile to do the clearance myself? My company will only be giving me small amount to do the relocation preparations.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Jasmin
    Last edited by boojazi; 20th April 2006 at 01:24 AM. Reason: wrong grammar

Hi Jasmin

I would think it is something you could easily do with a smaller amount like that as long as they allow you to collect from the port.

Hiring a small van is about $80-140 for anything between 4 hours and a whole day and there is also the alternative of a 'man with a van' too, although I'm not sure of the cost of this.

You could always check with Customs and MAF for the new rules regarding collection.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/ for MAF and their place at the port of wellington is Saturn House and http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers...rs/default.htm for customs.

hi Jasmin,

you don't say where you are moving from, we are moving from the uk, and so far I have received a quote for 8 boxes from my house to NZ will cost roughly £250.

they will give exact price once they have weight boxes at the depot.

the 8 boxes were free, and any others required will cost £1.50 per box and then extras shipping cost.

I have no address at the moment for them to deliver to but they said thats not a problem as we can put a friends down or collect from Port. (will have to check the bit about not being able to collect from the ports any more)

hope this helps

Kat

Thanks for your reply Smiler and Kat. I will be moving from the Philippines. I dont think there would be much problem with the Philippine part of the moving. It's just the charges from New Zealand that I am worried about. Because moving these boxes will cost me about 500USD, from Manila to Wellington Port. Then the quotation from Welllington port to local address is about 1200 USD. NZVanlines quoted me 800NZD to do the clearance check and everything from the port to the local address. Others quoted me around 110 per hour just to transport the stuff. But ill look at Smiler's suggestion to try man with a van. I think i saw in one of the sections here that they were able to do the customs clearance for about 300NZD in 3 hours. I may be wrong but maybe i can try that too?

Jasmin

Jasmin

NZ Vanlines make up prices depending upon how gullible they think you are.

we arranged the customs paperwork and the Maf paperwork when we got here before our containers arrived. we just rang up customs with the container numbers and they were really helpfull. Same with MAF.

NZ Vanlines delivered our stuff from the port - we saved about $900NZ by arranging our own customs and maf clearance rather than them doing it. It took my wife about 30 minutes on the phone.

Phone Whites & Co and Also Pickfords.

White & Co are £350 for 8 boxes door to door (london to Wellington)

Kat n Bob - what were the dimensions (roughly) of your boxes? Who did you get them with. We wont be going the container way as we're not bringing that much.

cheers