Thread: NVQ's - are they of any use?

Question NVQ's - are they of any use?

Hi, I've tried looking to see if this question has been asked before but can't find anything so here goes.
    My wife has 2 NVQ's, one in Admin (level 3) and one in IT (level 2). As far as we can see they don't mean diddly squat in NZ, but after all her effort we wanted to make sure. (Struggling to get points at the moment - I am a carpet fitter with 27 years experience but no formal qualifications, so lacking in points there too).
    Does anyone out there know anything about NVQ's and if they would be a recognised qualification

Cheers, Mike & Sharon

Unhappy Yes your right they are diddly squat

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman
    Hi, I've tried looking to see if this question has been asked before but can't find anything so here goes.
    My wife has 2 NVQ's, one in Admin (level 3) and one in IT (level 2). As far as we can see they don't mean diddly squat in NZ, but after all her effort we wanted to make sure. (Struggling to get points at the moment - I am a carpet fitter with 27 years experience but no formal qualifications, so lacking in points there too).
    Does anyone out there know anything about NVQ's and if they would be a recognised qualification

Cheers, Mike & Sharon
    I have the same NVQ's but only submitted the NVQ2 in admin as I had not got the results of my Level 3 course at the time, after spending the money the NZQA graded them at a Level 3 in Business Computing....I thought I have gone up a grade and that must mean the level 3 is a 4.....

any how we sent them off with our ITA and after a few weeks they came back and said that they were not allowing the 5 points for my qualifications as they are not on the list (even though the NZQA had recognised them)

SO in a way I wasted my money, but I am hoping that it will make it a bit easier if I want an admin Job in NZ (would prefer a change at the minute)

hope that helps,

Kat

Exclamation As we thought then

Hi Kat,
    Thanks for the info. It sounds as if it is as we suspected. I don't think there will be much point in trying to do anything with them then. Might as well save our money

We are off for a whirlwind 10 days in Christchurch at the end of May (our first visit), to check out the place and see if it is for us before we go any further. Hopefully Mike will be able to chat to a few employers while we are there to see what the job prospects are like. Seems the only way for us to go is for him to have a job offer first.

I'm currently employed as a civil servant but do fancy having a change if we do eventually get to NZ. There has to be something more interesting out there!
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman
    Hi Kat,
    Thanks for the info. It sounds as if it is as we suspected. I don't think there will be much point in trying to do anything with them then. Might as well save our money

We are off for a whirlwind 10 days in Christchurch at the end of May (our first visit), to check out the place and see if it is for us before we go any further. Hopefully Mike will be able to chat to a few employers while we are there to see what the job prospects are like. Seems the only way for us to go is for him to have a job offer first.

I'm currently employed as a civil servant but do fancy having a change if we do eventually get to NZ. There has to be something more interesting out there!
    Sharon
    What day are you flying? and which way? we go on the 31st LHR-HK-AUK.

have a good trip

Kat

Flying out on Thursday 25th from LHR to Bangkok, then to Sydney, and then CHC.
    I hate flying !!!!!!!! But the end justifies the means as they say!

Good luck.

Sharon