Thread: Building Inspectors

Question Building Inspectors

Rich and I had the most bizarrre weekend and ended up putting an offer on a lovely place just outside Johnsonville.
    The only catch is that the vendor is NOT using an agent- so not having bought a house NZ style we are a little stuck. We have spoken with a really great mortgage advisor who is helping with the financial side, but we were just wondering if anyone out there can recommend a building inspector in the Wellington area?
    I know there are LOADS in the Yellow Pages, but I always think a referral is best...

Anyone??
    Last edited by Karen and Rich Matthews; 24th April 2006 at 01:57 PM.

We used RealSure about 8 months ago. They were very quick and had a web version of the report within two days - real important when your timing is tight.

They did a good job, and scared us with their moisture meter, noting walls that could be a problem. And we called them several times with follow up questions, which they willingly answered. In the end, the vendor was able to repair some of the items in the report, so it was worth it.

I would also recommend walking the place yourself very carefully, tell them about any concerns, and they can take a closer look at those items during inspection. It is good to meet the inspector at the house as well, and they can point out any major items in person.

Good luck with it all. It was hard to know if we were making the right decision at the time, also not knowing the way things work here. But we did end up lucky, I think.

good luck on your house purchase Karen & Rich, and you'll have to let us know how you faired with the processes of the inspection/sale.

Cheers
    Kat

Default House Inspection: recommendation

Any recommendation for good house inspection (pre-purchase) companies in Christchurch or a company that would provide a complete package including house inspection, title search and Land Information Memorandum?

Good luck Karen and Rich - if you move in let us know what the area is like coz I think we will be moving down that way.

Steve

Originally from Malaysia, in Wellington since May 2005

We used a company called "Just Checking". They did more than just check. It was so detailed that the agent who sold us the house got a little annoyed about them being so thorough.

From a buyer's perspective, it is better to be thorough than to have left minor things out. At the end of the day, it is pretty much the buyer's choice as to how much attention you want to place on the little stuff.

Their address and contact details are

Robert Millar trading as "Just Checking"
    Kilbirnie, Wellington
    Phone: 04-3835785

The inspection costs about $350. Rob was pretty good. After the inspection, he gave us a report within the same day and went through each of the items (good and bad) with us so that we understood what needs immediate attention and what can wait. He also told us the pros and cons of the house, re location etc.

Based on the report, we managed to knock down the price a little more. We found them good becasue they not only told us what was wrong, they also told us what is good about the house and what we don't need to worry.

Hope this helps.

Talking Thank You

Thanks to all those who replied- we really feel like fish out of water. Our mortgage guy came round last night to double check that we knew what we were doing (!) and also to give some general advice, and to give some basic clauses that we should put into the contract. Will contact both the Inpectors recommended, and will let you all know how we go.....

Did you all do LIM reports too? Looks like they are about $300 as well!!

Exciting but nerve wracking at the same time!!!

Originally from Malaysia, in Wellington since May 2005

Yes we did a LIM report. Takes about 10 working days.

The three major clauses in the offer are:

1. LIM report
    2. Building inspection
    3. Finance

These can also be your escape clause in the event that you do not want to buy the property after putting in the offer, before you went unconditional.

Go to this website and take a look at the current and next year's rateable value and the rates you will be paying. The RV on this site gives you an indication as to the value of the house as assessed by the council. Also thre is a site map indicating where the boundaries are to the property you are buying and where the house is seated in the land.

http://www.wellington.govt.nz/servic...ch/search.html

Happy buying!

Default House check companies based in Christchurch

Shagen,

Thanks for the guidelines you provided us with (I also came across them on page 18 of the "Guide for migrants" provided by the NZ Immigration service).
    I looked up the yellow pages for the Christchurch area and short listed the following property check companies:
    "AA House & Property Checks": www.aahousechecks.co.nz
    "Property Check Ltd" based in New Brighton
    "Canterbury Home Check": www.canterburyhomecheck.co.nz
    "IBIS 200 Ltd": www.ibis2000.co.nz

I like the information provided on the website of "AA House & Property Checks" and particularly their list of sample reports.
    I like the fact that IBIS 2000 Ltd published its fees on its website.

I wonder if anyone out there has used any of the above companies and what are their feedbacks. Thanks beforehand

Hi

We used AA Property Checks in Chch for both our purchases - I have one of our reports here somewhere if you'd like to see it - it can be emailed.

We found them to be very thorough and fair with their observations and, at around $400, good value. They were also able to get out to properties quickly and on time (definitely a bonus when you're sending them round to someones house to crawl all over it!). The reports, whilst not always demanded by mortgage co.s, certainly put our minds at rest at "what lies beneath", especially as we weren't entirely sure what to look for in NZ properties.

Email/PM me if you would like a copy of the report.

Regards
    Moorf