Thread: anyone used their own container?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default anyone used their own container?

Kev my Oh keeps going to sales and seeing containers that he could buy.

Has anyone bought and used their own container? Is it more expensive this way? Will the shipping companies touch them or not? I told him it was a crazy idea and he would have to reserch it himself, but I know he wouldn't know where to start!

Anyone got any tips where to start?

Marcia

You read my mind I was only thinking of that today - but remembering the shipping game and transport game, probably more trouble than it worth!

My brother in law is an artist and makes up containers to ship his installations about in and has offered to "knock us up a few", he says they'll be delayed in customs for weeks but that he's never had any problems. I'm wondering about it but I'm not sure if it's one of those money savers that could go awfully wrong!

I've emailed a couple of shippers to see what they day!

Will let you know what they said (if they ever reply!)

I work for a large uk electrical retail company in their distribution division. They have their own inshore container storage facility. The last I heard I think they were charged around 25 per wk hire charge per 40 footer. If that is the norm' then you could save 200 or more, if you had your own. Hubby could use it as a workshop or garage at the other end aswell.

John

think the containers cost quite a bit. see them for sale occasionally, and if they are for shipping over seas they have to be complete, no holes etc in them. don't think it would be much of a saving, think the main part of the fee is the shipping of them not so much the container.

I guess it depends on what, and how much you want to send. Mark and I are not bringing any furniture or appliances with us (I already have a lovely big bed in NZ at my parents place) to save a bit of dough. We figure we will use TradeMe and 2nd hand stores when we get there and slowly build up to new stuff when we can afford to. Shipping seems to be an expensive way of going about it (from Canada anyway). We are planning on using the largest suitcases we are allowed, and pay extra for an additional suitcase each if necessary. We're also planning on leaving some items with Mark's family to bring with them when they visit us.
    We looked into using rubbermaid bins but quickly found out that suitcases are less hassle and hold just as much.

Jenny