Thread: Collecting U.S. Soc. Sec. in NZ

Default Collecting U.S. Soc. Sec. in NZ

Hi all,

I have a question for those American citizens who have retired in New Zealand and are eligible for monthly U.S. Social Security retirement benefits:

• Can you collect U.S. Social Security retirement benefits while retired in New Zealand?

• If you
    receive New Zealand supperannuation payments, can you also receive U.S. Social Security retirement benefits?

In a nutshell, assuming that all requirements have been met for qualifying for both pension schemes, I'm wondering if you can collect on both pensions?

I noticed that the NZ Ministry of Social Development stated that "If you receive a pension from an overseas Government, it is likely to be deducted from your Super."

I'm guessing that this essentially answers my question, but I just want to know for sure for Americans since the site does equivocally state "...it is likely...". http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/get...annuation.html

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Sincerely,

Aren

P.S. Please accept my apologies if this topic has already been covered in the forums. I recently became a member and am trying to learn as much as I can! Thanks!

Hi Aren

Glad to have you on the forum...seems like the American group has jumped in numbers in the recent months!

On your question, my MIL is able to collect her Social Security check just like before. We've kept our US account open so it just goes in like always.

Afraid I don't know about the superannuation angle as she doesn't work and hasn't for years (she's 78). You might just give Work and Income a call and see if they can point you in the right direction for the answer.

Good luck and I'll see if I can find any more info.

Susan