Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kamokamo & Puha

Default Kamokamo & Puha

What are they?

Do us Brits know them under another name, such as Kumara = sweet potato?

They are on my baby food list, and I am totally stumped, not quite ready to reveal my ignorance to my kiwi coffee group buddies just yet.....

Anyone know?

Don't know about the first one but I know puha is like a native watercress.... they use it in boilups (no, not a typo - no space) - boiling ham bones and puha and other veggies together.... not sure how it would relate to babies though - perhaps, like watercress, it's high in vits/minerals?

Sal
    Kamokamo

Is it like a courgette? I've had a google and that's what it seems.

You eat them young and tender and they goop up easily for baby food.

I googled both and did not find it that much help, mind you I was looking for a piccy.

A watercress type thing seems a bit odd for bubs food, but the courgetty kind of thing sounds OK.

Mind you, not sure I should be feeding him, look at the mess...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sallya...cd.jpg&.src=ph

Sal, 'fraid I can't help you but would be very interested in seeing your list. Although Alex is my 3rd, it's been so long since the other two were little and I really can't remember what he should be eating at this age (8 months). Won't have my first plunket visit for a couple of weeks, so it's difficult to get this info and cos we're on dial up it takes ages finding anything on the web! Ta very much!

Kate x

Got it from Plunket, your nearest one should have "drop in" sessions and you can just ask them for it. Either that or ring the local Plunket Family Centre.

333 Riccarton Road
    CHRISTCHURCH
    Ph: 03 348 9447
    Fax: 03 343 4335

or go to www.forbaby.co.nz. I can't find my chart on the site, but there as specific sections for certain ages that should be some help...

Watties do all the plunket food leaflets, hence the above website..

That's brilliant, Sal. Thanks very much. x

There's a picture of kamokamo here
    http://www.vegetable.co.nz/

Kamokamo and puha don't seem like things a baby would actually eat... but then, my toddler loves raw mushrooms, so I guess you never know what they'll like.

Thanks for those websites. So it looks like some sort of winter squash then?

My baby loved squash things. But now she is 3 and refusing most veg. My latest plan is to offer her veggies as a "starter." She wants to snack while I'm cooking dinner, so why not offer her a veg snack? Just tried it last night and she ate a whole cup of carrots and peas. Will let you know how it works with other items. And maybe that komokomo if I can find it...

Any other unique vegetables we should try?

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonkiwi
    There's a picture of kamokamo here
    http://www.vegetable.co.nz/

Kamokamo and puha don't seem like things a baby would actually eat... but then, my toddler loves raw mushrooms, so I guess you never know what they'll like.
    Ta for that, not sure i fancy tackling one of them.... maybe its something he will learnt to live without , saw a Taro today whilst hunting the kamokamo, looks a bit like a swede/squash kind of thing, another strange new veg to explore...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast