Thread: NZQA for US trade schools?

Question NZQA for US trade schools?

Is there any one out there who went to trade school and had their education/qualifications assessed by NZQA?

My husband is a massage therapist and graduated from a 1,000 hr program.
    I know his education is equivalent to a National Diploma in Massage in NZ (level 5 or 6). The NZQA website lists his syllabus as equivalent.

NZQA says " If your qualification and/or the awarding institution is not accredited by the national accrediting body: (a) no comparability or level will be given to your qualification and you will be advised accordingly. (b) your application fee will not be refunded."

Most US schools for massage therapy are not accredited by the national accrediting body, just by the state. How do they assess trade school educations if they say they won't assess any school that is not accredited?
    I'm really confused and frustrated.

I've sent numerous emails to NZQA and massage schools in NZ to get my question answered. NZQA refuses to answer my question....they just keep repeating this:

"When you apply for assessment of your qualifications the New Zealand Qualifications Authority will contact the relevant accreditation agencies."

and this:

" If your qualification and/or the awarding institution is not accredited by the national accrediting body: (a) no comparability or level will be given to your qualification and you will be advised accordingly. (b) your application fee will not be refunded."

I would be happy to give them the money to assess his qualifications but it looks like they are telling me that they won't be assessed and I will have waisted my money.

I remember there was a hairstylist on the forum a while ago, who had her qualifications assessed by NZQA. I don't think most cosmetology schools are accredited by the national accrediting bodies...(?)

Please....if anyone can help me understand this...I would be soooo grateful!!!

***Eleanore

I own a massage business in the US and have connected with some one here in NZ (Takapuna to be specific) who has a massage business here. We were chatting today and she told me that there are no licensing requirements, oversight or any other regulations for massage therapists here in NZ. I don't know what that means with regard to qualifications being evaluated for PR but that is the story with qualifications here. The massage biz here does have some distinct differences from the States. In particular, bring your own table if you plan on doing private clients. The tables here are not nearly as comfortable (no face cradles) as those you typically find in the States and they are VERY expensive. If you do come over and plan on living in Auckland let me know and I can put you in contact with my friend who is always on the lookout for good therapists. If you have more questions, just send me a private message.

Oops, forgot one thing. Did your husband get his National Certification? That may satisfy the National Accreditation thing...

Thanks Park City Partner!

Yes, I am aware that massage is not a regulated industry in NZ...and that there are no licensing requirements yet.

That's probably a good idea re: the national certification, but I doubt my husband is too eager to sit for another exam this far into his career, if it's not absolutely necessary.The National Certification is not recognized by the states of California or Hawaii.

My husband has been a licensed massaged therapist for 24 years and has held licenses in the states of California, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii.
    For the last 17 years he's been a Massage Therapist at the luxury resort spas here in Hawaii (the Four Seasons and Fairmont Kea Lani).

I'm really trying to figure out how NZQA does assessments on trade schools (which are usually only accredited by the Bureau for Private Post-Secondary & Vocational Education) and are not accredited by the "national accrediting bodies" ...ie., WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges, etc.).

Hey, if you meet any American massage therapists that have immigrated to NZ, please let me know...maybe they would be willing to share their experience with NZQA.

Thanks for your offer of help with your contact in Auckland, but we will be on the S.I. We are moving to Christchurch.

Are you planning on moving to the Auckland area?

Are you applying for NZQA assessment?

***Eleanore

24 years! That is impressive in this industry. I am actually living in Auckland and have been here about 2 months. My partner is a kiwi and I got PR through him.

Is your husband planning on working as a therapsit here? I don't know much about the high end spa places here but I will tell you overall I have not been impressed with the massage industry here. The skill level varies greatly, even more so than in the States. I have had some massages where I wanted to stop the session because it was so awful but would never have the guts to be that rude. I have recently found a place specializing in pregnancy massage and had a session there that was pretty good and I would/will go back there. It is hit and miss though.

Good luck with the process and let me know if I can help.

Smile

It is very disappointing to receive a lousy massage!

I'm glad that you are taking care of yourself and getting massaged while you are pregnant. You are very fortunate to have a kiwi partner.

Yes, DH will be working as a Massage Therapist for another decade or two.
    We are sending out CVs to spas on the South Island. We are prepared for a dramatic cut in pay....but it's alright, as the cost of living in NZ is at least 25% less than here in Hawaii...and the NZ lifestyle is what we really want.

We spent time this summer at a wonderful holiday park near Warkworth called Sand Spit in Kuau Bay (north of Auckland). When your little one arrives you might really enjoy it there...great place for kids & adults.