Is there any one out there who went to trade school and had their education/qualifications assessed by NZQA?

My husband is a massage therapist and graduated from a 1,000 hr program.
I know his education is equivalent to a National Diploma in Massage in NZ (level 5 or 6). The NZQA website lists his syllabus as equivalent.

NZQA says " If your qualification and/or the awarding institution is not accredited by the national accrediting body: (a) no comparability or level will be given to your qualification and you will be advised accordingly. (b) your application fee will not be refunded."

Most US schools for massage therapy are not accredited by the national accrediting body, just by the state. How do they assess trade school educations if they say they won't assess any school that is not accredited?
I'm really confused and frustrated.

I've sent numerous emails to NZQA and massage schools in NZ to get my question answered. NZQA refuses to answer my question....they just keep repeating this:

"When you apply for assessment of your qualifications the New Zealand Qualifications Authority will contact the relevant accreditation agencies."

and this:

" If your qualification and/or the awarding institution is not accredited by the national accrediting body: (a) no comparability or level will be given to your qualification and you will be advised accordingly. (b) your application fee will not be refunded."

I would be happy to give them the money to assess his qualifications but it looks like they are telling me that they won't be assessed and I will have waisted my money.

I remember there was a hairstylist on the forum a while ago, who had her qualifications assessed by NZQA. I don't think most cosmetology schools are accredited by the national accrediting bodies...(?)

Please....if anyone can help me understand this...I would be soooo grateful!!!

***Eleanore