Thread: Parent/toddler share groups?

Default Parent/toddler share groups?

Hi, all. I'm putting this question here (not in Education section) on the grounds that our motivation for asking is wider than just education interest.

Our little boy is two (three in August). When we get to Auckland next week, one of our very highest priorities will be to get involved early with something like a cooperative parent-toddler group. This could be either more deliberate and structured (e.g., Playcentre) or more small and informal, and we'd look into any combination of attendance (e.g., a daily short session whence a small group of mums/dads and children meet at a park or house to chat, play and have coffee; or a rota-style system to allow some parents a free morning or two; or whatever).

One of our chief reasons for wanting to do this so soon is that, of course, we will be away from family and friends and want to start developing a network of pals and responsible mums and dads so that we can just have friends, and also so that we can help each other out if needed.

How did other Auckland folks here -- esp. North Shore City settlers -- find good, small groups like this? I'm sure it'll fall into place when we arrive and start asking around, but any comments now would be useful too. Many thanks.

Hi

I'm sure you will find lots to do on the northshore. There are lots of groups. In Browns Bay there is a toddler playgroup for parents and kids three times aweek. There is a group in Torbay on Wednesdays at 1pm for children of all ages with their caregivers.

However I fell that there is a great need for a group to be estasblished in the northshore for many mothers of pre-schoolers who have emigrated and missed out on meeting people through their ante natal groups.

Good luck, also if you are feeling a little lost for playdates in your early days try Chipmunks indoor playcentre in Albany. Very clean,safe and well designed teeming with toddlers on a Friday morning $4.95 entrance, bring toddler food!

Isn't there something called "Plunkett Rooms" which are a sort of community centre / come playgroup and lots of things for children go on in them?

I seem to remember my sister in law telling me about them.

Lisa.....

Sorry to hi-jack this thread a bit, but has anyone in NZ ever heard of any schemes like the American 'Adopt a Grandparent'? (This may not be it's correct name ....)

Basically, it puts together children who don't have grandparents / elderly relatives locally and those of the older generation that would like to offer youngsters love / attention. I saw a tv programme about it once, and thought it was a great way for children who would otherwise miss out on this valuable time with people who can offer so much to a family.

Just a thought .....

Emily

Just happened to post this on another thread,

http://www.plunket.org.nz/Who_Are_We_Page.htm

This is the site for Plunket that Lisa mentioned, and this is a list of the play centres

http://www.plunket.org.nz/North_Isla...ntres_Page.htm

Hello! We're new to this forum and we have 3 kids ages 4,3, and 2... we'll be submitting our EOI soon and we hope to get selected from the pool. Anyway, we were just curious.. how much does daycare cost in NZ? If we do make it, I'd assume that my hubby and I would be working during the day... so how should we plan for our kids in terms of daycare/childcare?