Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pronunciation help required!!

The Maori guy on the TV weather forecast is good for learning place name pronunciations from!!

I work with quite a few Maori groups for an organisation that aims to be bi-cultural & sometimes its hard to tell if someone is Maori or not if they don't start the conversation on the phone in Maori so I've always used the Maori pronunciations.

Where we live (sure its the same everywhere in NZ) the pakeha's - much to my disgust - shorten words to make them easier to pronounce so:

Paraparaumu becomes Paraparam'
    and Pauatahanui becomes Pau'tanui

I personally think it sounds awful and ignorant, but what the heck so many people do it! - I just refuse to.

After a year & a half the pronunciations come a heck of a lot easier - although I had to laugh when there was a report on kiwi radio which pronounced Luton airport Lutton - they must have the same problem when they come to the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by sarahw
    they must have the same problem when they come to the UK!

How true - I always smile when my Kiwi mates refer to my home county in the UK as Stafford Shire - with the emphasis on the 'shire'. Maybe it's just me being gramatically lazy by calling it Staffordsha.

Diny

Wonder how the maori would go on with Welsh place names? Would be intersting that... and maybe a tad hilarious - but it would be an interesting experiment.

I've been in Wales 10 years now and I still struggle with some of the place names ....... God help me in NZ

I think the Wales tourist board try and make a selling point of it. I saw an ad of theirs recently that said "travel to places you can't pronounce" Quite why that would appeal, I'm not sure, unless it's supposed to give us some sort of exotic gloss
    Gil

I can actually say that long place name (Llanfair P G) .... but I can't spell it.

Diny

Quote Originally Posted by Diny
    I can actually say that long place name (Llanfair P G) .... but I can't spell it.

Diny
    Well I must say I'm impressed! That will be the first thing I ask you to do when we eventually meet!

Well done Diny! That's more than most Welsh people can do!
    Gil

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123