Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BBO BEO House hunting help!

Question BBO BEO House hunting help!

I'm so confused. We're just starting to look at houses for sale. I'm not used to not having a buyer's agent like in the states, and I've been going to open houses, and listening to the questions other people ask. That's been a help. As has the forum and other sites. I know I can look at the rateable value and that I need to get the inspection and LIM.

The thing I can't figure out is why I go to an open house that says BBO a certain amt. and then overhear the agent say the house will go for at the very least $50,000 more than the BBO amt! I know the O stands for over, but that's quite a big difference! Would you say my experience is common or the exception? I'm trying to figure out whether to start looking at houses listed well below my price range in order to find one that's actually within my range.

The house I like best so far had a tender date that passed, but it's still on the market, because they didn't like the tenders they received. I don't know if that means they probably got offers below the BBO amt they listed or that they probably want a lot more then the BBO amt like the other house listed above. Since it's tender, I have no real guide for what we should offer if we decide on that one. Is it generally a certain amt more than the rateable value?

I'm at a loss trying to figure out which houses are actually in our range so I don't waste all my time looking at ones that aren't. And the agents mostly try to say as little as possible of course. I need to learn a lot more about valueing and what the BBO really means!!! Any ideas about the best way to do that?

Thanks very much!
    Jessica

Well as soon as I posted I saw the 'Value of a House' thread, which I had missed in a search earlier. Still, if anyone has any other advice to offer, I'm all ears. Thanks, J

Hi Jess

We were in the same position, totally confused by the buying terms. We spoke to an ex estate agent who explained the terms. If it wasn't in the other thread you read, BBO is 'buyer budget over', and BEO is 'buyer enquiry over'. Basically we were told the seller will be expecting anything upto 20% more than the BBO figure.

We've been watching house prices for a few months and in the Kapiti area some are going for a bit over their BBOs and some are going way over. Some agents will give you lists of their sold properties and the selling prices but they are only for properties sold over 2 months or so ago.

What has annoyed us is when they put PBN (price by negotiation), that gives you no idea what the seller wants and even the agents don't like to list the property like that.

Hope this helps a bit, you know where I am if you want more details of what we've found.

Karen

This will be interesting. We looked at houses when were over there, just to get an idea and I found the whole thing quite confusing. I suppose this is a taste of things to come for our whole lives for a while!

Well thanks to you both - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who finds it confusing. I am going to go to the auction of a house that we loved in the area we want to be, even though I've been told it will go for about 60,000 more than I want to spend on housing. That way I will at least see how much it ends up selling for. Maybe that will help give me a little bit of a benchmark to measure against.

And thanks for the 20% info Karen. I think I'm going to need to adjust for that a bit more when looking!

What about a house that just lists a price straight out with no BBO or BEO? Anyone know if that means they are usually expecting that much $ or whether they generally expect more?

Thanks,
    J

Hi Jess

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the auction. We went to the monthly auctions at Harcourts and out of 11 properties only 3 sold at the auction. It's also very strange as in some cases the auctioneer seems to be bidding against himself with no-one in the room putting bids in. This is because the sellers have set a reserve price and the auctioneer bids up to that price. If anyone puts a bid in but not enough for the reserve they have the first chance to negotiate with the sellers after the auction.

More times than not the property is back on the market the next week with a BBO price. It seems such a waste of time to me. It is however a good way of finding out how much the seller wants because if it doesn't sell at auction the estate agents will tell you at what value the bidding stoppped at.

In the UK, a house auction usually means you can pick up a property cheaply, here it seems to mean the sellers are greedy and are hoping for a bidding war to bump up the price.

Good luck house hunting
    Karen

Hi Jess

I'm not buying yet but I'm looking now. Just don't tell OH.

It is confusing. But I have found that when I have emailed agents, they seem to be more free with their info. I ask specific questions, like it says BBO, how much do they want? One agent emailed me after the auction, which I didn't go to but had asked about the property prior, to let me know it didn't sell. The agent said the owners reserve was $$ and they would accept $$. I still passed.

Good luck with your search.

Looking on the internet at house pricing esp for Wellington it's difficult to try and understand what our budget will buy us at all in NZ.

Anyone got any knowledge of real house prices, initial thoughts on destination prob Jo'ville area.

Cheers,

Yogi.

Default a mystery for newcomers...

We bought a house and we still dont understand how it really works. In the end we asked for a professional "valuation" (or appraisal, with comparables in US terminology) as a contingency in the purchase contract to make sure that the price was right. It is not a common contingency, but it is an option if you are not sure. I suppose you could also pay to have this done prior to making an offer as well, but that's an expense with some loss if you decide not to go forward. There is also info on the web you can pay for to get estimates of house values and sales prices, although the info may be dated.

I think its good to go to alot of open houses, and make appointments for private showings as well. Sometimes working with an agent directly, they can show you a range, and may share more info that way. Just tell them upfront that you are trying to learn the market and want to see a variety.

Oh, and that auction should be fun, Jessica. Or heartwrenching... I've caught a few examples on TV, and it seems such a strange way to negotiate. I'll see if I can get more infor from people who have recently purchased and I'll PM you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast