Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caravan Shipping

Default Caravan Shipping

Hi chaps,

Anybody shipped a caravan or had quotes on it? Ours is 21ft inc the front frame and as we stand to lose if we sell it here then replace it in NZ, we were wondering weather to ship it and fill it with as much stuff as possible, but not had a quote yet, just wondeing if its feasable

Mmmmm. So anyboby wanna but a caravan?

I'd bring it if I were you - caravans here are ridiculously expensive. I watched on Ebay UK as a 1989 caravan, 4-berth, looked great inside etc from pics sold for £600, on TradeMe at the same time I watched a gaudy, 1978 caravan which looked very old and dated and tired inside go for just short of $6k.

I totally agree - bring it with you !!! Caravans here are a stupid price, if you find out you don't want it/use it then sell it and get a smug profit !!

Diny

Definatly bring it, we had two and didnt bring either and kicked ourselves ever since. I was told it would cost about 2000 pounds for it to ship it 3 years ago, but it would have been worth it. There are new ones here, but they are silly prices and the older glass window ones that we all sent to scrappers years ago in Uk, go for mad prices here. If you could fill it you will be laughing. You will need to get it complied with once it arrives, but im sure that wont be a problem looking at the sate of some here. Also it would need to be fumigated on arrival to make sure no incy wincy things are in the bodywork, but i say it will all be worth it in the end as you will never get one here for anthing like you pay for them over there.

good luck and happy holidaying when it arrives

I agree,definitely bring it.We brought our VW campervan with us in a 40 foot container no problems at all.Customs and M.A.F.dont like it if you fill it full of stuff though,also it will have to be scrupulously clean.I took my van to be steam cleaned and undersealed before dropping it of at the shippers and it sailed through all the checks.There may be a few compliance issues at this end as they get checked over pretty rigorously so make sure it's in tip top condition.L.T.S.A.should be able to help so contact them prior and print out and save any correspondance, it can smooth the way.Good Luck.

Thanks chaps this has got me thinking! I saw a Coachman Genius 17ft 1997 on trade me for $36000 (£12000!!!!) ours is the same but 21ft 1996 and only worth £4500 ($13500) here if we sell it. Was thinking of filling it too so will get some quotes and see what they say.

Even wondering weather to start an import business once in NZ could get 2 in a 40 ft and make $30000 profit each time!!! Surely it cant be that easy??

If its your own then theres no tax on it, not sure what the tax would be if you are importing it. but yeah there seems lots of odd gaps in the market here like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlosparky
    Even wondering weather to start an import business once in NZ could get 2 in a 40 ft and make $30000 profit each time!!! Surely it cant be that easy??

The other day I saw a battered old caravan for sale in somebody's driveway. Now I mean it was battered and old, like one you'd see in a paddock as a hen house or somewhere for the kids to play.

The price tag was $3500.

I kid you not.

Diny
    Last edited by Diny; 25th May 2006 at 09:42 AM.

Default bring a caravan

On a similar note ....

if we buy a caravan in the UK and ship it over in the next 8 months when we move over would we have to pay extra for it as we would've only owned it for a short time? I read something about this applying to cars, are caravans the same?
    Cheers
    Jo Lois

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast