Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: low salaries in NZ?

Default low salaries in NZ?

I read a lot about people saying that the salaries in NZ are much lower compared to Europe. Now I've been offered a job with a salary of $55K per year and if my calculation is correct (33% tax in NZ?) I find the result per month very pleasing. Maybe the salaries in the UK are much higher than the rest of Europe, or the tax rate isn't that high in the UK? The tax rate for me at the moment is a bloody 45% (on a salary of appx $70K), so I'm very happy with what I've been offered in NZ :P It's pretty much the same as I'm earning here at the moment.
    Or am I missing something?

Without knowing your occupation or management level it would be hard to comment on whether that is a good or bad salary! If you were a cleaner it would be an exceptional salary but crappy if you were head of Telecom!

Sounds Ok - but I can tell you there is no way on earth we could survive (as a family of 5) on that amount of money here!

Some of the salaries are comparable, our son in law earns slightly more here than the UK and daughter found she could earn more temping here that she did clerical for the NHS back home. Another friend has had to take a drop in salary but he is in IT. So its horses for courses really.

It's for a position of Firmware Engineer and I would only have to support myself.

Sounds good to me, hubby is on just under that, not quite enough to support a family of four with only him working, but he managed ok when he was on his own.

That's pretty good then, more so if just you to support

If you only have yourself to support then that's a good deal.

Word of warning though ..... don't get hitched - you'll never be rich (ask my husband).

Diny

but its better than diggin a ditch....aye what.

CAMBRIDGE NEAR HAMILTON NEW ZEALAND(LOVELY PLACE)

Hi
    Just thought I`d pitch in,I have been offered a starting salary of $42000nz and a car,I was told this is a good wage for Hamilton,surely it does depend where you live????I know this is more than a police officer starts onin NZ.I am taking a substantial drop in earnings from what I get in the UK but I would be mortgage free in NZ...Is $42K any good???
    Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast