Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone sold their house on Trade Me ?

Default Has anyone sold their house on Trade Me ?

Hi there. We're making the move from Auckland to Christchurch soon and want to sell our house as quickly as possible.
    There's such a huge difference in cost between selling your house yourself and paying many many thousands of hard earned $$$$$ to an estate agent, it's very tempting to put the house on Trade me with a sale sign outside the house and see what happens.
    Has anyone else sold their house themselves ?

Quote Originally Posted by westi
    Hi there. We're making the move from Auckland to Christchurch soon and want to sell our house as quickly as possible.
    There's such a huge difference in cost between selling your house yourself and paying many many thousands of hard earned $$$$$ to an estate agent, it's very tempting to put the house on Trade me with a sale sign outside the house and see what happens.
    Has anyone else sold their house themselves ?
    Got ours on HouseLadder and Netmovers as well as with two Estate Agents. No bites from the internet sites but, to be honest, I think they 're doing a better job than the Agents. In fact, come to think of it, I think my 8 year old daughter is doing a better job than the Agents.

Ooops, sorry, just realised you're talking about moving WITHIN NZ .

Carry on, nothing to see here!

Don't worry Cardiff, I can relate to you frustration.
    Stuck in the UK club.
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie
    Don't worry Cardiff, I can relate to you frustration.
    Stuck in the UK club.
    Debbie
    Same here. We have had a house on the market since January. We gave the agent 28 days notice to stop using them on Saturday and after all that time with only 1 viewing this week somehow we have 2 booked! All crossed.

Sorry this isn’t much help to the original post!

Best of luck you guys. it's a frustrating business which ever end of the world you're living in !!

Yeah - just coming to the end of our latest house selling escapade so maybe I can help.

Hubby and I have a huge dislike for estate agents - whatever side of the world they're on. They all seem to promise the world and then fail to come up with the goods.

We put our house here in NZ on the market at the end of Feb. We decided to 'go it alone' (to a certain extent) and tried to sell through a company called Green Door. They are a marketing company. They provide the 'For Sale' boards, the flyers etc and will also advertise. There's several different packages you can 'buy' from them. We took the 'middle of the road' package which included 4 weeks advertising in the local newspaper.

We ran an open home every Sunday. We had alot of people visit but I think almost all of them told us that they had been visiting other open homes in the area and just happened to see ours so dropped in. We are a back section and not visible from the road, some of them felt committed once they were at the end of our drive and just came to look around for the sake of it. They either weren't interested or couldn't afford it. We were on the market 9 weeks with Green Door and during that time only 2 parties came to view as a direct result of the newspaper advertising.

Then - the local real estate agent (who lives in this village) called by to see us to offer his 'help'. At first we told him 'no way' but after abit of back and forth we decided to give him 4 weeks to list our property. We wouldn't agree to anything up front and told him that if he did get a sale then we wouldn't be paying any stupid % rate of the price, we told him what we were willing to pay him by the means of a flat fee. I have to admit he was taken aback by this, but we didn't really care. He had 2 choices - take it or leave it. We were in no hurry to sell.

Anyway - after 10 days and several viewings, he told us there was an offer on our house. The following Friday we went unconditional and we move on the 23rd June.

The price he got was several thousands more than we were asking through Green Door so we are 'quids in' (even after paying his flat fee).

Oh I forgot to say, the fee charges by G/Door was $2500 which sadly to have to pay whether you sell or not.

We still don't like estage agents - but we now look upon them as a necessary evil.

The house we have bought to move into is being sold privately. So far all has gone well. One thing that you need to bear in mind though is if you are buying a house which is being sold privately, your bank will need an up to date valuation (RVR)done on it. They won't be willing to just take the sellers word for it. RVR's can cost anything up to $400 (around here anyway).

Hope this helps.

Diny

Our selling experience was pretty much as Diny's above.

We had already offered on our current house and a condition of contract was that we sell ours in 4 weeks. We put it on TradeMe and had lots of hits, a few viewings, but no real interest. We, as Diny, don't like estate agents and even more so we didn't like the hefty fees. BUT.. because we needed to get a sale through we ended up, in week 2, getting an agent in and we had offers through the first week. She upped our selling price too which covered her fees AND gave us the profit we wanted. So, yes, a necessary evil.

So, whilst I'd love to have sold it ourselves, time was against us. If you have the luxury of time it's worth the $50 test onTradeMe - we bought our current house via TradeMe and they'd had it on for about a month/6 weeks.

Moorf

Hi, Thanks for the feedback - we don't realy have the luxury of time so I can see us advertising it ourselves for the 1st month and then panicking, going with an agent, selling it straight away and end up hating ourselves and them !!

Question Buying on trade me

If it helps we have just BOUGHT our house on Trade Me. Won't waffle too long as it may be irrelevant. Found it all so easy, were able to negotiate directly with the vendor and everything was up front. It will certainly be a path we look at if we come to sell. Strangely, it only got complicated once the solicitors became involved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast