Thread: Rotorua - Things to Do

Default Rotorua - Things to Do

We're hopefully spending a few days up in Taupo in June. As we've been before I'm hoping to make a day trip up to Rotorua.

Has anyone got any suggestions about the best places to visit ? It needs to be relatively inexpensive as well. We've been told to avoid Hell's Gate as it's too touristy and very expensive.

If anyone's got any tips I'd love to hear them

do you have kids? and what kind of things are you looking to do? mud pools/geysers or bungy white water thrill stuff

ZORBING

Seriously - this is amazing. They even have a bit that kids can go in - though im not sure of the ages its ok for. But adults - oh my god - its sooooo much fun. Tip if you do go - dont to the dry run: its not as much fun and you tend to have to wait around longer for a zorb to be available. The wet run is honestly one of the most hysterical things you can do in public.

On a less "silly" note; I always go to the polynesian spa. Now I go for the adults only area and have nice treatments, but they do have a family area as well that its worth looking at.

And dont forget the Skyline. A gondola ride is great - though as with a lot of things in Rotorua - most of the fun stuff may not be great for small kids. I have to honest and say that I really didnt notice how well kids are accomodated. However - another tip - they have a restaurant at the top - an all you can eat buffet which is really quite good. If you co for that - you get a free ride up in the skyline the next day. Again its not that cheap - but we felt it was worth it. And for silly stuff up there - Lugeing down the hill is great fun.

Im sure there other stuff ive done there - ill post if I can think of it.

I,m with avalon on the sky ride and luge the kids loved it and i think it was only $70 for a family ticket. We also visited one of the thermal reserves well worth seeing for $45 for the family Cardy

You make it sound so attractive Avalon - zorbing looks incredibly silly but fun thing to do, not sure if my ageing frame will be able to take it though

Steve

For an "all in one place"
    http://www.tourism.net.nz/new-zealan...a/jumpto/29233
    is awesome.
    It's not the cheapest place to get into but I could spend hours there.......and go back regularly.

Also the Tamaki brothers Maori Village is great to go to at night.
    http://www.tourism.net.nz/new-zealan...maori-village/

Carol

I agree the Zorbe is a must! Great fun. Oh and there is an all you can eat place that is a must. Yum yum yum!! Can't remember the name, will ask OH

Zorbing Not something I could do easily with 3 kids aged 5, 3 and 2 years although Mr J the youngest would probably give it ago, he's a true adrenalin junkie

Thinking more along the lines of sedate things (very boring I know). Like the geysers, hot pools. Are there any free things to do like Taupo has ?

Thanks Carol for the site you gave me. Just taken a quick look, certainly looks really good and a bit more of what we're looking for

There is Kuirau Park which you can walk round (free) full of hot mud pools etc., there is also Ohinemutu a small Maori settlement (free)

Take a look at these websites:

www.skylineskyrides.co.nz

www.agrodome.co.nz

www.geyserland.co.nz

www.tepuia.com

www.buriedvillage.co.nz

www.rotoruamuseum.co.nz (well worth a visit)

Jules