Thread: kindergarten versus pre-school?

Default kindergarten versus pre-school?

I am looking into the kindergartens and/or pre-schools for my 3 year old son to go to when we move to Titirangi. But for the life of me, I cannot find anywhere what the difference is between a kindergarten and a pre-school?

I know a kindergarten costs about 3 to 5 dollars a session, if a pre-school is something different, what do they charge?

Thanks!

In NZ, "kindergarten" specifically refers to the Kindergarten Association, which is a charitable trust:
    "The Auckland Kindergarten Association (AKA) is a charitable trust that has been providing quality early childhood education since 1908. It is New Zealand's largest kindergarten association, with 107 public kindergartens throughout Auckland, and one childcare centre (KiNZ Myers Park).

Our kindergartens do not charge fees, making them accessible to every child in Auckland. No child is refused entry to kindergartens on the grounds that they can not pay. Instead, parents are asked for a donation to help the running costs of the kindergarten. This is supplemented with fundraising activities that take place during the year."
    http://www.akkindergarten.org.nz/aka...p?section_id=2

Pre-school means a privately run daycare centre.

Also check out Playcentre
    http://playcentre.org.nz/playcentreD...assocID=&city=

Thanks!

Nienke! How are you doing? Is your son adapting well to all the changes?

I just found the pictures of your new house! It looks beautiful, I hope you can settle in soon.
    Last edited by tigerlily; 28th May 2006 at 06:22 AM. Reason: added more

We're doing fine! My son is doing well, he loves it here. He is starting to learn a few English words now, when he finally realized that kids here just don't speak Dutch...no matter how stubbornly he talked Dutch back....
    As he's always been an outdoor-loving kid he's really enjoying himself here with beaches and parks and playgrounds all in the vicinity.
    Just a couple of more weeks until we get the keys to our house, and then it's waiting for our container to be delivered!

That is excellent news. I'm sure he will pick up English very quickly and probably with a kiwi accent too! I'm so glad to hear that the winter weather is still good enough to play outside, that is something I really look forward to. I hope this will be our last winter in America! Are you finding all the shops ok and driving the city yet? What sort of area is your house in (rural? suburbs?)?

I bought a car yesterday, gonna pick it up tomorrow. Then I'll be driving around a bit more than now. Though for a European it's a bit difficult to adjust to sitting behind the wheel on the right side of the car on the left side of the road! And I'm not particularly good at driving in a city, but I'll manage!
    Our new house is in Titirangi, a suburb to the west of Auckland.
    It's raining a lot, but enough dry spells to go and play outside, and it's not so cold!

Yes, that other side of the road thing, plus new city thing sounds like a bit of stress. Add to that giving the three-year-old some crackers for a snack and you get bonus points! I'm sure there are ups and downs, but you should be proud of yourself for getting to where you are.

Keep us posted, it is wonderful to hear about life on "the other side"!

Hoi Nienke
    It was lovely to meet you and family the other weekend! Sorry we didn't get too much time to chat, always busy these meets, so many people to chat to and then the kids asking for attention too! Maybe we can arrange to get together once you're settled in your new home.
    With regards to this thread:- are you going to be working? (sorry if I'm a bit out of touch with your situation). If not, have you thought about attending a playcentre with Wouter instead of kindergarten / daycentre? Amy attends a daycentre 1 day a week, but I also go to my local playcentre with her 2 mornings a week (she will also start to go by herself 1 morning to attend the over 3's pre-school session).

I'm really enjoying these sessions, given the opportunity to meet other mums / caregivers and as such start building up a social life again. Can you tell you about what playcentres do opposed to kindergarten / daycentre - will send you a PM with my number.

Best of luck with the move.

Babette

Hoi Babette,
    Would love to meet once we're in Titirangi (only a couple of weeks now)! Pm'd you back!