Thread: weather in Auckland

Default weather in Auckland

Hi All

Can anyone give me some sort of indication on the average weather in Auckland. I have had conflicting reports from different people who have been to visit. and also the internet has information saying that Auckland does not reach above 25 degrees in summer. Is this true?? when is the rainy season?

We have booked our tickets to arrive in Auckland on 2nd September, will we be coming into cold weather?? as not quite summer time in Auckland in September.

Thank you for your help

Lee

Hi Lee,

Well we in Auckland early autumn (late March) and temperates were around 24-27 deg C so I expect summers can reach 30+ max. However there are plenty of people who live in Auckland who can give you a better idea.

Rgds.,
    Nick

Well, I have not lived in Auckland in the summer yet as I arrived as a PR in mid-April. I came from the States where I lived in LA and Park City UT. Both VERY sunny places with very little rain...the opposite of Auckland in the winter apparently. It rains a lot here and you can get 4 seasons in a day. It rains a lot and is very grey. This is one of the biggest adjustments for me at the moment...did I mention it seems to rain a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Park City Partner
    It rains a lot here and you can get 4 seasons in a day. It rains a lot and is very grey. This is one of the biggest adjustments for me at the moment...did I mention it seems to rain a lot.
    Yup, its currently the rainy season, stops in about Sept/Oct however the days it is not raining and the sun is out even the winter days can be lovely and warm. Rarely goes below 2-3 degrees c.

Summer days do get over 30, and with the high humidity it can be a bit much, but maybe thats cos I was pregnant at the time. In about March/April, I was out for my morning power walks, and found it was getting too warm at around 10-11am once the sun was out and got going.

Also in summer it seems to rain overnight, which is very considerate .

There has been much written on this forum about the weather in Auckland, but all those assessments can be summed up with the word "changeable". As the saying goes, “If you don’t like the weather, wait five minutes.” I’ve been here since Dec 04 and I can attest to this first hand. Here’s another 2¢ worth:

First of all, while the daily mercury slides up and down the thermometer like a confused millipede, the seasons slink by like snails; they don’t change so much as evolve. The springs in the Spring are all sprung; and Fall doesn’t fall, it floats.

As for high’s & low’s, these seem momentary to me: 30C minutes across the midday’s of Summer and rare below zero seconds on the darkest of Winter nights. It is generally a temperate mid-twenties from Nov to March when the sun shines, and from about June to August you’ll get 7 to 10 degree days with 1 to 3 degree nights.

And, as it’s a city's built between two harbours, the winds blow constantly…of course, to those who feel 25C as hot, they’re called “breezes” in the Summer (I call them gales; but I don’t sail and despise air-conditioning with a passion that would shame Caligula). In Winter they’re simply awful.

But, amazingly enough, I know a few (and see many) people who wear 3/4-pants & jandals year-round!

Right…ciao for now; hope it helps.
    Last edited by Jimbo Logo; 29th May 2006 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashlee
    Hi All

Can anyone give me some sort of indication on the average weather in Auckland. .....

Lee
    Lee

This (official) NZ site has all the stats you could need:-

http://www.niwascience.co.nz/edu/resources/climate/

They also have monthly summaries here:-

http://www.niwascience.co.nz/ncc/

Park City - you talking about a UK summer??

StevieD, just made a note to self....don't go to the UK in the summer

Default rain everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Park City Partner
    This is one of the biggest adjustments for me at the moment...did I mention it seems to rain a lot.
    I'm with you Park City Partner. Rain rain go away.

Especially with a wee one at home... Wishing you more sunshine.