Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Fish & Chips Ever...

Default Best Fish & Chips Ever...

Can I recommend the Akaroa Fish & Chip shop in, errr, Akaroa (Bank Peninsula, South Island) - the BEST we've ever had and with the best view too!

Hi Moorf

What did you think of Akaroa, bit of a long drive, but we loved it.

I'm a die hard fan of Nuhaka Chippie.

As pictured in the Pictures thread.

Alternatively visit my website and change the index.html to wibble.html in your url.

Has anyone tried Black Paua?

Absolutely lovely - great cafes, great views, lovely walk, fab shops, swimming with dolpins, art galleries, crafts etc etc...

Like you say, long drive but if you're the passenger the views are amazing - twisty so driver has to concentrate!!!

Did you go to the cheese shop en-route at French Farm? Fab stuff....

Hey Captain

Are you talking about te paua fritters? When I first saw them I thought somebody was playing a trick on me - not the most visually pleasing item on the menu - but the taste - bloomin' lovely.

As for the fish and chip crown ..... my vote goes to a little take away we found in Arewa (sp). Don't know the name of the shop but I could take you to it. It's run by a very happy Chinese couple who make you feel like royalty. As for the F & C ..... food heaven.

Diny

Diny

Glad they don't taste like chicken.

Mayber I'll give them a go, but battered maussels are way too tempting.

Have you tried battered, deep fried oysters?

My husband says that I need stringing up for spoiling such fine fare.

He's a BIG fan of Bluff oysters - basically any seafood that looks like a slug is OK by him.

Fried mussels? I'll give them a miss thanks.

Diny

The best fush an chups (sorry couldnt resist) we found was at Snapper Jacks in Whitianga. Visited several times to make sure it was not a one off on the first visit. The guy who runs it catches a lot of the fare himself on rod and line. The Gurnard was to die for IMO. Had never tried it before as my Grandfather always said it was only good for the cats.
    Moorf, have you had any fresh greenlip mussels yet. We bought some from New world where they have them in tanks of water (live I presume). They were far better than the ones we get here. Half a dozen washed down with a case or 2 of Export gold....heaven.

Mmmmm, Bluff Oysters get my vote any day. Can't wait to get home and wait for the first day of the season. Yummy!!

Debs

Timbo - spooky you should mention those green lipped mussels.. was only yesterday that we spotted the tank of live ones in PaknSave! Didn't have the guts to get some, haven't cooked from live before... anyone want to share their prep info?

Plus, has anyone tried Mountain Oysters?!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast