Thread: Electrical stuff & whether or not to take it.

Default Electrical stuff & whether or not to take it.

Hi,
    Am new to the site and am learing loads! Just wanted to know, i'm sure i read that there is no point taking electrical stuff from the UK as NZ current is different or something, but have noticed on some of these posts that people are taking PCs and games consoles. Can someone enlighten me?
    All help gratefully received, my NZ job offer has been really sudden so am on a steep learing curve. Thanks!
    Jane

Jane

You might be better looking at the "Making the Move" subject as you entre the forums there is loads of stuff on there about electrical items.

Regards

Jo

Hi Jane welcome to the forum

As well as Jo's answer also check out the sites FAQ

http://www.enz.org/NewZealandFAQ.html, one of the items is about electrical stuff.

For what its worth, my understanding is that the power is the same, plugs are different, and there are some issues with older TVs, but in the main, it seems to be worth taking most electrical stuff - BUT I aint there so not 100% sure

good luck

alex

I think some of the confusion with electrical things is because the USA people have a voltage problem with NZ but the UK people don't. UK TVs dont work over here though. have sent you a private message too.

We brought everything and it all works fine.
    We even brought our (relatively new) TV and bought a video here. It works fine if you tune the TV through the video.
    Used it like that for 6 years till we bought a new one last year.

Default UK VS NZ Electronics

Hi Jane and All :cool

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of great people here with a lot of excellent insight to your questions. If you have a specific question, a good way to find what you’re looking for is to use the “search” link at the top of all of the pages. Simply type in your subject and you’ll probably find heaps of posts!

With regard to your electrical items, you can bring most of them with you. NZ and UK electricity are the same. All you'll need to do is use mains adapters or if the item allows, you can purchase new electrical cords here. Some folks have taken to cutting the old UK plug off and attaching a New Zealand style one in its place.

Two caveats; one is with your TV and the other your DVD player.

NZ television broadcasts are PAL B/G. UK TV is PAL I. If you used your UK TV here you would see the picture but have no sound. You have a couple of options. First check your televisions’s manual and find out if your set can receive PAL B/G...many newer sets can receive multiple signals such as PAL I, PAL G, PAL B, etc. If so, bring it! Another option is to bring it and pay to have it modified. But the cost might be more than the set is worth. Some folks have also bought a VCR here and use it as the tuner for their UK TV. Of course another option is to sell your TV and buy a new one here. Prices have dropped over the past few years and are relatively competitive with UK prices. You’ll also be able to buy one of the newer 100 Hz televisions which offer a better, “flicker free”, picture.

Your DVD player will work here (with a mains adapter) and play your DVD's. However, unless yours is a multi-region DVD player, it will not play NZ DVD's. DVD's sold in the UK are region 2 and DVD's sold in NZ are region 4. Almost all DVD players sold in NZ are zone free/multi-region and will play DVD's from anywhere else. If you buy a DVD player here you can play the DVD's you already have as well as any you find here. DVD players can be found starting for around $60 NZD and up.

Here is a list of the world DVD regions in case anyone needs it:

• Region 1 - USA and Canada
      Region 2 - Europe, Japan, the Middle East, North Africa, Egypt, and South Africa
      Region 3 - Taiwan, the Philippines, Korea, Indonesia, Hong Kong
      Region 4 - Mexico, Central America, South America, Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands, and the Caribbean
      Region 5 - Russia, Eastern Europe, India, North Korea, and East and West Africa
      Region 6 - China.

Your CD player and CD’s will work fine here as well. As will your telephones (with an adapter also easily found here), lamps, etc. Your computers, both laptop and desktop and monitors will work fine here as well.

Anyone from the U.S./Canada can find info about US Vs NZ electronics here…

http://www.enz.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=613

Hope that helps and best of luck with your dreams. Most of us think you'll love it here!

Default UK Vs NZ Electronics

Wow! Veronica and Carol were posting at the same time I was! See how great this place is!!

Hi Janie ( That was my Grans Name)

Welcome to the forum - I hope all your querrie will be answered.
    I know your question has been answered well - WOW Richsadams - look at you smarty pants .

Love
    Lindaxx