Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Items worth shipping to NZ!!!

Default Items worth shipping to NZ!!!

Hi everyone, we have been given conflicting info about what to ship and what not to ship to NZ from the UK because it will or will not work properly. We were considering the following:

Washing Machine
    Fridge Freezer
    Microwave
    Televisions
    Telephone
    Small Kitchen Appliances
    PC (dell) - oldish

Please can anyone advise????

Thanks

Jemma

We have just arrived and like you were not sure what not to bring. We got rid of some things and my advice to you is BRING EVERYTHING there is nothing that you wont need or will not work. The only thing that needs a little work is the telly, video and dvd player, but there are even ways round that so bring those.

I have read somewhere on here that fridges and freezers don't work after they have been shipped...don't know why.

We were also wondering about other appliances, so checked the basics on the internet to see what the NZ mains voltage was....GB is 230v, where as NZ is listed as 230/400v...not sure about the 400

If we can't take them we will have alot to sell. Not sure what the cost implications would be to replace it all.

You can take almost any electrical item out there, but TV's etc need to be fairly modern so as to support the various AV modes. I'm not too sure what to look for, I guess it'll be on here somewhere. What you will have to do is change the plug on any electrical device, but one tip I've heard is to buy a multi plug extender and just change the plug that goes to the mains, so for computers etc where there are several plugs, you will only need to change the one plug !

Default Phones and TVs

On a similar note:

I've read that UK house phones both 'do' and 'don't' work in NZ. Have you taken yours? Does it work?

We have a plasma screen - anyone else transported one? Does it need converting in any way? Was thinking that if you use it just as a screen (ie with sky) then maybe you don't have the issues of receiving a TV signal on a particular frequency.

Cheers.

I have read somewhere on here that fridges and freezers don't work after they have been shipped...don't know why
    Can't remember the scientific terms but basically I believe fridges and freezers don't work because of all the gases in them. I think it's something to do with the gas/oil not getting into the filters otherwise they saturate it.

Maybe somebody else can verify this???

We brought everything, including fridges and freezers all works ok here.

Bob the engineer and Richard had a thread about fridge freezers and CFC's etc

I would show the thread but it told me I didn't have permission to access it.

Sorry, you'll have to search for it.

Basically, if you're coming from the UK (which I'm guessing you are) absolutely everything works.

Re. fridges freezers - well I'm drinking a glass of cold Sav Blanc from the Smeg fridge freezer we shipped over here a year and a half ago & it didn't do it any harm!! Ship it!!

Definitely bring a washing machine - they use top loaders here in general & front loaders are imported from Europe - we paid $800 for a washing machine when we got here & it was the most basic model that we would have paid a lot less in England.

TV's - The audio doesn't work if you plug in through the aerial (we're on a different PAL system - you get a picture but no sound) however, it works if you have SKY TV, which we were going for anyway. DVD players - the region is different but you can get hacks to make your DVD player play in NZ.

Bring your phones for sure.

Basically - anything electrical, bring with you & buy plugs at Bunnings & swap them. We brought our entire house contents including all electrical appliances (I'm a kitchen appliance freak) - oh and if you have a Dyson give it a good clean & bring it!!! they're an absolute fortune out here. For the odd appliance which has a sealed plug you can plug them into adaptors on the occasions you use them.

Thank you everyone for your advice, we are going to ship the lot now and hope for the best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast