Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cat moving trauma

Default cat moving trauma

We're another step closer to our final decision on whether to move to NZ, with a job offer for my husband in hand. However, one of the big stumbling blocks for us is... do we take the cats? They're the extremely sucky kind (if my OH turns over in the middle of the night, the girl-cat climbs over to his other side so she can hear his heart better).
    Expense aside, we're most concerned about inflicting trauma on the cats through the move. Several days of travel/isolation + 30 days quarantine + new digs seems like a lot to put them through. Their previous owner declawed them so they can't go outdoors either. We've asked around with our friends to see if someone could take them but so far no luck.

For people who've moved cats with them to New Zealand, what was your cat's reaction? Basically I'd like to know what the answer would be if we could ask our cats whether they'd rather stay in Canada with new 'staff' or move to NZ with us.

Our cat did much better than we thought she would. She is a very clingy cat but did fine. She adjusted very quickly once we brought her into our new house. She was 11 years old at the time of the move. It was expensive so there are times, like when she wakes me up in the middle of the night, I wish I left her, but we did not know anyone that would take her.

Chris

I had 2 cats back in the UK that I left behind they both went to good homes though.

I decided not to bring them because I didn't want them to go through what I was going to experience i.e. long flights, so I thought I would rather leave them with people I knew that would take good care of them. I still miss them and OH won't let me have another one

Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Jules
    I had 2 cats back in the UK that I left behind they both went to good homes though.

I decided not to bring them because I didn't want them to go through what I was going to experience i.e. long flights, so I thought I would rather leave them with people I knew that would take good care of them. I still miss them and OH won't let me have another one

Jules
    Oh that's so sad! My OH is even more attached to the two cats than I am. I think his standards for 'good home' are very high. He wants to find adoptive parents who'll spoil the cats as much as we do

Quote Originally Posted by clg
    Our cat did much better than we thought she would. She is a very clingy cat but did fine. She adjusted very quickly once we brought her into our new house. She was 11 years old at the time of the move. It was expensive so there are times, like when she wakes me up in the middle of the night, I wish I left her, but we did not know anyone that would take her.

Chris
    I'm assuming my cats would have to go through the same quarantine process that your clingy cat did since we're both coming from North America. Was it 30 days? How did she fare? Were you able to visit her? One of our cats has some separation anxiety issues and is shy with strangers so we're more concerned about her.

Not sure where you're headed but Shado-Lans Quarantine in Levin - an hour and a half north of Wellington - was very nice. We had a dog there, not a cat, but I saw some of the cats there. They have those carpeted towers to climb on in their room, and someone on staff can visit with them daily. Also, I remember them telling me that the two cats staying in one room together were from the same family, so yours may be able to stick together. All the rooms have their own adjoining outdoor fenced area. (My friend in NYC joked that my dog had more space in quarantine than she had in her little apt.) If you can handle the paperwork and the expense of the month of quarantine, I don't think they'd have too much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by jess
    Not sure where you're headed but Shado-Lans Quarantine in Levin - an hour and a half north of Wellington - was very nice. We had a dog there, not a cat, but I saw some of the cats there. They have those carpeted towers to climb on in their room, and someone on staff can visit with them daily. Also, I remember them telling me that the two cats staying in one room together were from the same family, so yours may be able to stick together. All the rooms have their own adjoining outdoor fenced area. (My friend in NYC joked that my dog had more space in quarantine than she had in her little apt.) If you can handle the paperwork and the expense of the month of quarantine, I don't think they'd have too much trouble.
    That doesn't sound so bad... we're heading for Auckland. Hope we can find a place as nice as Shado-lans was for your dog.

I'm sure this link has been posted elsewhere - it's where you need to start:

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/impor...maniic.spe.htm

The important thing (IMO) to note is that you need a permit to import, which will be for a time no less than six months and no more than a year after the process begins. In order to get that permit, you'll have to specify a boarding facility that has agreed to accept the pet during the 30 day quarantine. There are two in Auckland and their contact info is here:

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files...-dog-spe-q.pdf

It's a giant pain in the hindquarters for the owner, and quite costly. But from what I have been able to find out, it is not such a terrible burden on the pets. (Praise All Deities, since we will be bringing two dogs from the USA.)

Will let you know how our cats get on - we are moving them to Christchurch from UK at beginning of August! I have started with the flower essences already as I know several people who have used them for animals and they have responded really well! Mine have been having Walnut (for change) in their water for a good few months! The children and us have been glugging it too!

Aukland -- well while you're deciding if you'll bring the cats, you might want to check out Qualified Pets, a quarantine facility there. Their website does say that up to three cats from the same family can room together.

As barryp said, there are two in Auckland -- the other is Pet Haven Kennels.

J
    Last edited by jess; 7th June 2006 at 11:59 AM. Reason: 2nd kennel link

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast