Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broardband Coverage

Default Broardband Coverage

As a lot of you know I'm off to Hicksville! Where can I find out about broardband coverage? I'm asking as we have only been able to get broardband where I live for the last couple of years and we aren't out in the sticks!

Nicola
    Which Hicksville you off to?

Good luck! You may need it.

Depending on where you are - Telecom, and indeed most other places will tell you get lost. So once you have tried all the main players you may need to get inventive.

Telecom and Telstra are the most well known broadband suppliers , but if they dont cover it, from our experience it means people like Whoosh dont want to know either. You can check coverage for your area on most of the company websites.

We used WiseNet - they have just been taken over by Orcon; and they put in radio broadband for us. Means we have a small radio aerial in the garden, bouncing off a mast on a distant hill. To get that, cabling to the house and wireless access through the house has cost 2.5K for the install and costs us $74 a months for unlimited access. (Bear in mind Telecom wanted $50,000.00 to extend the service 1 mile further down the road! )

You can also look at satellite access. Most peopel dont want to use it as its slow to upload (If I remember rightly - only downloads are at normal broadband speed then you need dial-up to upload - so its a bit fiddly). However late last year, a new satelite came on line which should allow for uploads as well. Its worth thinking about if you cant get a normal service or radio installed.

Your first calls should be to get round any neighbours though and check what they have. 2 others down here have radio masts, and if we could have bounced off thiers - then the cost would have been lowered. In any case - the neighbours will be the ones to tell you what is availble, and even in teh boonies most people will at least get the question - even if they cant answer it.

I was hoping you'd see this Phew!

Waipukurau. Near Hastings. I think it's a lovely little place!

Thanks Avalon that is really helpful. I'm off to check the company web sites now.

I asked so I could look it up but I could only find this site http://www.bclnz.com/index.php/pi_pageid/23 or this one might help http://www.consumer.org.nz/topic.asp...nttype=summary

Although Xtra Broadband is available in your area please note that factors such as distance from our equipment or the technology used means we may be unable to deliver Xtra Broadband to a specific address.

Next Steps for 068589196 :
    Contact Telecom
    Further checks are required on your line specifically before we can confirm the availability of Xtra Broadband at your property.

That was Telecom. Mmmm not too helpful so I will go off and try another company.

Does the town have an i site or a council you could email?

Good thinking..... I'm going to e mail an estate agent!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast