Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silica gel

Default Silica gel

Been advised to include this in shipments to stop stuff getting wet. Have others done this? Where do you get hold of it from from?

Certain items may benefit from the use of silica gel, but it's not really worth the expense or hassle. Its only effective if the item is then sealed in a plastic bag. Otherwise the silica gel will just continue to absorb atmospheric water vapour until its "spent" and will stop working once saturated. This will happen within a day unless hermetically sealed with the item. For tools just spray with WD40 and allow to dry. Everything else you/or your packers should pack tightly in plenty of paper or bubble wrap or foam chips then into a sturdy cardboard box (triple wall preferably) ensuring the box is "topped off" to fill any voids in part full baxs to reduce movement. If you are doing it yourself you should also get into the container and ask for the doors to be closed with you inside. If you see any light entering you must reject the container!

Karl

Thanks for the advice Karl. Will pass it on to chief packer!

BTW what does your signature translate as?

Translation as requested!

You are weeping
    (Little) girl, (little) girl
    you are weary
    (Little) girl, (little) girl

Be sad no longer
    There is love for you
    in the heart of the Father
    (Little) girl, (little) girl.

I looked into the silaca gel issue as well. There are shipping companies in the U.S that throw bags in trucks that haul long distances. YOu can buy there products on-line, not very cheap.

So I say to myself silica, gotta be a cheaper way, I wander around the local shops, pause in the animal ailse of a grocery store, pick up a bag HIGHLY ABSORBANT KITTY LITTER, active ingrediants SILICA.

Now after tinkering with it I am not sure that it will really be all that beneficial. It appears that it will absorb up to around 3 times its mass in water. One tablespoon litter soaks up 3 tablespoons of water, and then it is done.

So if a water droplet hit it o.k, but I doubt it will absorb humidity all that well. It looks like it was just a fun experiment.

it was worth a try!

We didn't put anything with our furniture, although we were advised to empty our fridge and turn it off 3 days before packing and put a tea bag inside to absorb all the moisture.

Just make sure the tea bag is on a saucer or something otherwise it will stain the fridge.

We didn't bother just sold the fridge with the house!!!

Hi, justin,

It occurred to me you need to get your experience together with Sandra's cat problem topic earlier this week.. then I realized I was just being silly...

Let's not have any more of that, shall we???

Losing it, Rae

I miss my banana!!!!!!

I miss your banana too

Oooer, missus! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the translation Karlsmidt. I am going to start a new topic on speaking Maori!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast