Thread: Inspection/Port Fees - Help!

Exclamation Inspection/Port Fees - Help!

The mover here in NZ wanted $600 to deliver our stuff, until I pulled out our contract and got the shipper to verify for them that we didn't owe anything for delivery 46 miles from the port. So now I am a little skeptical when it comes to the fees we owe.

We got a bill fromthe mover today for Maf charges of $325, and I have seen the threads on this being a bit high, so I will check with MAF. But they also are billing for Terminal Handling Charges of $825! Is that how much the terminal charges are? I am wondering if they are getting their delivery money now by the back door. There were no details whatsoever listed for either amount. Smiler paid some awful fortune when his shipment arrived, but I can't find the details.

Any thoughts on the terminal charge and whether it's legit?

Thank you!
    J

We didn't have to pay any terminal charges or MAF fees as MAF didn't inspect our stuff in the end.

Refuse both charges. You should deal with MAF directly, they usually come to your house and inspect stuff if need be. The moving company will have no idea what these fees will be. Re read your contract again usually you pay the fee up front for everything, nothing extra should have to be paid. This is for the UK, not so sure about the US.

What a rotten time you're having with them, just remember to stick to your guns and don't pay them anything unless you know it's legit.

Thanks SB. The thing is, our contract says the following are Not covered by my prior payment: "duties, taxes, port taxes, value added taxes, terminal handling charges, port congestion fee surcharges applied by the port or steam ship line."

But I don't actually know what terminal handling charges are, and if they are marking up the MAf charge by at least $200, then they might easily be marking the THC up as well.

Not come across terminal charges before. Maybe ring up the terminal and ask what kind of fees they set before going back to your removal company and asking why they want the money up front.

Maybe someone else on the forum has had the same problem.

Which moving company is this Jess?

Thanks again SB. I did just what you said. Rang up the port and was told to ring the owners of the actual ship who have an office in Welly. Called and gave them my container # and found out the actual terminal charges are $590. So a savings of $235 off what the movers wanted. I would rather do 30 minutes of investigating than pay an extra $235.

Excellent news Jess, just goes to show that they're after extra money.

Maybe it's time to name and shame the moving company so others don't get caught out with their little scams

Jess this is exactly what happened to us.

When I repeatedly queried the charges they were separated into MAF fees and rest of the extortionate charges were suddenly called disbursements, although no one would tell me what those disbursements were for. To the point of telling me to go away, not nicely.

Terminal handling charge wasn't itemised on our bill though. Thats sounds like something that should be included at time of shipping quote.

What a coincidence this happened when you checked your contract and found you shouldn't be paying the charges. <-----------confused and a little sarcastic smiley.

At the end of the day they had our stuff,cars and bikes and whilst we put up a fight, we were stuck.

Tell the shippers that you will pay MAF directly either at the house or ask for a separate invoice FROM MAF. MAF told me there charges were lower than what we had to pay the shippers.

Was it NZ Van Lines?