Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to avoid

Default Where to avoid

Theres a lot of excellent threads about what various places are like, but can anyone say from their time in NZ what are the places to avoid?

coming over totally cold, we don't want to get caught out in an unwelcome neighbourhood, and having travelled a little I know part of it is knowing where not to go.

No specific part of NZ, just wherever you have experience of.

Keith & Debby

Our journey begins...

Porirua wouldn't be my first choice......
    Whitby (5 mins drive away) is lovely though.

Does anyone have any idea what Plimmerton is like? We are staying there for our first few weeks in Welly!

Quote Originally Posted by smitjo
    Does anyone have any idea what Plimmerton is like? We are staying there for our first few weeks in Welly!
    It's lovely!!

Has the cutest shops - fab indian restaurant - two other really good restaurants - good hairdresser - train station on main line into Welly - brilliant school and kindy - but best of all right on the beach with fantastic views. (And equally fantastic wind!!)
    Hence a favourite spot for Windsurfing.

I go there every Friday with my class to use Plimmerton School's Technology Centre.

Would I live there?
    Yes - but prices to buy are high because of views.
    Renting would be good for a while though.....

We went to Welly for a few days after christmas last year ( turns out I have cousins there) and we travelled down to Porrirua.....On the only day that had Torrential rain and hurricane winds (we wanted to look at the police museum) Everything was shut, so we ended up in the local KFC. We asked the young guys in there what to do on a rainy day in Porrirua and they said....

Err......nothing!!!!

Personally, I dont fancy the idea of living in Auckland... We came from quite a big city and didnt like the idea of swapping one for another.

Dunedin, and the far south in general, full of gap tooth farming simpletons. pretty to look at though.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by wilson182
    Everything was shut, so we ended up in the local KFC. We asked the young guys in there what to do on a rainy day in Porrirua and they said....

Err......nothing!!!!
    awwww...I would have met you for a cuppa!!!!

There is actually loads to do......
    I just wouldnt want to live there.

So many wonderful places in NZ. Our future plans will take us up to the Coromandel Peninsular, Northland is fab - and Bay Of Islands (IMHO) knocks the rest of NZ into a cocked hat. For the here and now we're in the Manawatu - very agricultural and off the beaten track but getting us ahead in leaps and bounds. Wouldn't like to think we'll be in this area for ever but hubby and I always have a 'plan', ours is to stay here a little while longer, get a couple of more rentals under our belts and then move on. Bearing all of this in mind there's no better place for us in NZ 'at the moment'.

If I had to mention one place I wouldn't want to live in NZ, it would have to be Christchurch. I accept the explanation that there must have been a high wind on rubbish collecting day (hmmmmm) but it still struck us as being the litter capitol of NZ.

Diny

My list would be:

Wainuoimata (Round the back of Eastbourne / lower hutt)
    Upper hutt
    Porirua
    Palmerston North
    New Plymouth
    Wiararapa north of Masterton
    Anywhere thats a Suburb.

Only really counts NI obviously as thats the bit ive seen more of.

No 1 on my list would be Huntly

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast