Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening a Bank Account before I arrive

Default Opening a Bank Account before I arrive

So, I just got my invitation to apply for a WTR visa. The booklet that came along says that I could open a bank account in NZ before I land there. Has anybody here done that ? i.e. open a bank account in NZ before even landing there ?

While we are on topic - what are the good banks out there with decent customer service and good online services ? I intend to open a bank account from here in Singapore, if I am able to do that.

Any comments ?

Thank in advance

Hi sidcarter. Welcome to the forum.
    Try reading through some of these old posts for help with your question.
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....0&page=1&pp=10
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5847

cheers, Mark.

Hi sid

I can only comment on ASB and BNZ.

I find BNZ easy to use and read online and with slightly better customer service than ASB. They both seem to be upgrading their security at the moment too with Netguard and Netcode.

I find ASB is a bit of a pain to pay a bill over a certain amount as they put you through hoops to confirm the transaction but don't care if you can't remember your password.

But thats my opinion though.

Hi..Yes, we have opened accounts in NZ already and we're not there.
    We used the National bank and a simple phone call did it all really. Very friendly staff on each occassion too.
    We now have a current and savings account. However, as we are not there to show our ID's yet, we could not have the high rates as with the online account. So to get round this we have deposited into fixed term policies giving 7% interest pa. They will mature just when we arrive which is good.

Then when you get to NZ, just pop into your Branch, show them your ID's and thats that, you can move your money as you wish.

Just get the banks numbers from their websites, simple as that.

Oh, by the way, we used Tranzfers for sending our money out, which was very cheap and very quick, highly recommended.

Jenny&Mark, thanks for the info.

Smiler, will look at BNZ, since you say ASB is a pain.

Mark&Heather, Is this - http://www.anznational.co.nz/ the bank you mention ?
    I am not really interested in a high interest rate. Just want put some cash in the bank and see if I can get a credit card there before I land

Thanks a lot for the info. Now /me starts looking for prices for a Harley . Anybody got an idea on that ?

Quote Originally Posted by sidcarter
    Thanks a lot for the info. Now /me starts looking for prices for a Harley . Anybody got an idea on that ?
    Plenty http://www.motorcycle.co.nz/

and http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...archregion=100

I opened an account with Westpac, they offer some form of migrant account which allows you to deposit money but not actually spend it. I sent through a certified copy of our passports to 'activate' the account - this was instead of turning up in a branch with our passports. I could then use internet banking and was offered, and subsequently given, a credit card before I'd even set foot in the country. Note: once the account is activated you have to start paying charges

I found their staff incredibly helpful especially compared to UK standards.

Wow !! Awesome !!

I am all set now....mostly

Quote Originally Posted by diforsyth
    I opened an account with Westpac, they offer some form of migrant account which allows you to deposit money but not actually spend it. I sent through a certified copy of our passports to 'activate' the account - this was instead of turning up in a branch with our passports. I could then use internet banking and was offered, and subsequently given, a credit card before I'd even set foot in the country. Note: once the account is activated you have to start paying charges

Cool, that's very close to the info I was looking for. I went to their site and they seem to have quite good info on accounts for migrants - which I have yet to see on the websites of other big banks.

How long did it take for you to get your credit card after opening the account ? And did you send a copy of your visa for opening the account or just the invitation letter ?

I won't be applying for my visa yet, as I intend to clear up most of the stuff here in singapore and the proceed to apply for my WTR visa.

Anyway, thanks a ton for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by diforsyth

I've got the same type of account with Kiwibank and so far, I can't fault their service. I haven't had to pay charges as such, only tax on my interest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast