Thread: PO Box or Poste Restante?

Default PO Box or Poste Restante?

Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between these two services? Having never been to NZ, I can't see why they are different, or why you would want two po box systems operating in tandem alongside each other. Is one better than the other? We just want a postal address to set up a redirection here before leave.

Also, can either of them be opened from the UK before we leave? I've tried running a search, but can't make head or tail of the websites that describe them. I read somewhere that you used to be able to forward mail direct to the post office for collection when you arrive, but this seems somewhat unsecure and haphazard.

Can anyone help me? I'm sure it's a simple explanation, but I just don't get it

Thanks,

Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Simon & Emily
    Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between these two services?
    well, a PO Box is a mailbox at a post office or "post shop" (eg, stationery store that provides postal services). You have a key and can get your mail at any time. You rent it for a year.

Post restante is when mail is held for you at a post office counter, on a temporary basis.
    Poste Restante is an inexpensive service for overseas visitors so they can receive letters and parcels from family and friends while travelling around New Zealand.

The Poste Restante service provides customers with:

* a location to hold mail until they are ready to collect it
    * a facility to redirect mail
    * a facility to leave messages, and
    * storage facilities for parcels to be collected when ready.

Poste Restante locations can hold letters (including small packets) for overseas visitors for up to three months at no cost.

The cost for a domestic redirection of Poste Restante mail is $7.00.

http://www.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-...PosteRestante/

I've read on here about people opening a PO Box before they arrive, have you tried searching the forum?

Also, post restante is only available at one post office in each town/city, but you can get a PO box at any post office or post shop.

I had asked a similiar question about setting up a PO box before I left. See here the thread.

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5778

hope it helps.

Cheers
    Starkhorn

I've just set up a PO box in NZ. You have to do it via fax but it was very easy & quick to do.

Thats interesting. Are you still in UK - or generally outside NZ?

Emily

I'm still in the UK. I emailed the NZ post office & told them I needed to set up a PO box before we left the UK. They emailed back & asked where I wanted it & then sent me a fax I had to fill in. I faxed it back with a copy of my passport for id & payment details.
    It was set up in a few days, they emailed to confirm it & gave me the PO address. Pretty simple really.
    I hope you get it sorted.