Thread: Pram vs travel cot

Default Pram vs travel cot

Hi Everyone,
    We are flying out next week (aarrgghh). But we have a slight problem which I may have found the solution to. For our son we are only entitled to one piece of checked in baggage which we intended to use for cot bed or pram. Unfortunately (correct me if I am wrong) Air new Zealand will only take one stating that each item is an individual piece of baggage, even though they are much lower than the maximum weight. I was thinking do we just wing it and hope they will take both pieces or do I find a very big bagand put both items in as one oversized piece of luggage (assuming that it does not exceed our maximum weight). I was thinking of a cycle bag but if anyone knows of great big bags that would take a big three wheeler push chair and a fold up travel cot please please let me know.

Many thanks,

K

We didn't fly Air NZ, but we took a pram and a travel cot, which is pretty standard for those with babies - I doubt anyone will bat an eyelid. jubjub has just used Air NZ for a holiday to UK and she has a baby - why don't you pm her and ask what she did?

I really suggest you don't worry and take both. Good luck with the flight!

Kate

Are you sure that your son is only allowed one piece of checked baggage?
    Are you flying via LA? If he has his own seat, he gets the full adult allowance, and under the new rules, even infants without a seat get that too:
    Infants are entitled to the same baggage allowance as the accompanying passenger, including car seats and strollers.

If this is the case then you won't have to worry. But if he is only entitled to one piece of luggage, then yes, they would count either the push chair or the cot as that one piece.

Our friends came over on Air NZ & brought a push chair & travel cot - no problems.

We bought pushchair and travel cot. Just bought a cheap stroller though instead of taking the 3 wheeler with us. It's a really bulky heavy item and if you can do without it until the container arrives, or if it's a holiday then you can usually manage with a normal buggy anyway. Air NZ were able to put it in the overhead containers at Hong Kong because if it had gone into the hold we wouldn't have been able to use it at Auckland as it would have been transferred with the rest of our luggage onto our Wellington flight.

You do get two peices of luggage each, even if on an infant fare (no seat for bub), BUT it is two peices only, and like you say if they are light, then you miss out on quite a bit of weight allowance.

You can get buggy bags, Phil & Teds make one as that what we used, think you can get it in UK? But once buggy is in it, you have no chance of getting a travel cot in there too.

However the travel cot is an easier option for trying to put into a larger holdall, then pack clothes etc round it.

If you tried to put them both in the same bag, you would be over the max bag size dimensions I reckon?
    Under this piece system, each piece of baggage should have total dimensions (length + width + height) no greater than 158cm (62").
    Good luck..... our bub still has jetlag