Thread: What is the normal GGT?

Default What is the normal GGT?

Hi All, does anybody here knows the normal GGT? Mine was considered elevated 0-35 (i forgot the unit of measurement). My BMI is 28.4. My medicals was sent to NZ for further assessment. I sent it 2 weeks ago and the waiting is killing me. Do you have any experience like this?

Your replies would really help a lot.

thanks

Boojazi

The normal range is 0 to 51 IU/L. (international units per litre)

Did you have any alcohol the day before? It can skew the result, so can prescrition meds.

Hope you hear soon. Fingers crossed.

Hi smiler thanks. No i did not have alcohol the day before or even the 6 years before. I could remember my ggt was only 35.. I dont know the range at that time and i did not ask.. stupid of me. i think ill give my panel doctor a call. thanks

hi Smiler, i phoned the panel doctor today and my GGT was 39 iu/l. their normal range is 5-32 iu/l. I also read something about the 51 iu/l and another at 80 iu/l being normal range. it seems they have a narrower normal range... oh no. im biting my nails now...

Sorry if i seem 'thick' but is this the bilirubin levels on the liver function test you are talking about? If so do you take any hayfever tablets or inhalers - my hubby had an 'abnormal' bilirubin result but when we looked at his medication it said as part of the side effects it could cause abnormal readings on liver function tests!
    Not sure if we are talking of the same things here or not, but maybe that info might help

no, its not the bilirubin but its the gamma something... hmmm... actually i have never really been sick in my whole life. i just get migraines from time to time, no allergies whatsoever......i was confident with my medical tests until the results came out.. they havent asked me yet to take another test nor contacted for anything. just waiting, waiting, waiting...

I am not sure if it is your case, mine was fatty liver and only symptom was eleveted ALT in my liver functione test. My medical cleared 2 months after I sent them second complementary blood test and liver ultra sound scan. I have read some info that GGT could be a sign of fatty liver as well.

Gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase - think I prefer GGT (and I had to check the spelling).

Did you hear yet Boojazi? Fingers crossed for you.

Yes thats right Smiler. Gamma...... -(up to there only i could spell and pronounce properly). I havent heard anything yet... will phone again this friday. Alis, yes my panel doctor said its fattly liver too... Anyway, thanks for you guys who are keeping your fingers crossed for me....

hello all/alis/boojazi,
    Just been told by my case officer that my liver func test are showing abnormal values. My case has been referred to NZIS Medical Assessor and i am waiting for an answer. The case officer also suggested that if i want to save time, i should visit my doctor again and go through some more tests and get it on a piece of letter from the doctor that it's not hepatitis or anything serious. Can someone help on what should be the exact coarse of action? Should i visit my GP again? Should i go through some more tests, if so what tests?

I have a job offer and am supposed to start early-mid October.

Can i get my tests done again and visit any consultant to get this letter or do i have to go back again to the NZ recommended GP's?

Will appreciate a quick response.