Thread: Self build housing

Default Self build housing

Hi,
    can anyone advise/point me in the right direction about self build projects via a few good links on the web. Plans, building costs, getting services to your section etc: Always fancied getting my own section and building the house we wanted.

Thanks in advance

John

Bubbles

Im sure there has alreadly been a good thread on this subject, with a few links too. Not sure if it was on this or the old forum though. If you do a search on both you might find it.

Debs

http://www.enz.org/forum/viewtopic.p...590b2ad6c0852f

This is the thread from the Old Forum....

Moorf

Thanks Moorf and Debs
    A great link
    I did try and search old forum but I think I'll have refine my search options a little. Turned up quite a bit of stuff that wasn't related to topic at-all.

John

Hey Bubbles, did you get far in your research?
    Have you decided to go for it?

We've seen a 20 care block up in the Pohangina Valley by Palmy, for NZ$155,000. Say another NZ$150-180,000 for a new house build and thats not a bad wee piece of real estate.
    Subdivide of 5 acres or so for some cash back, hhmmm, this is definitely worth looking into eh!

re. building

hub is the architect behind a number of award winning houses, and he's hoping to do his own thing for a least 6 months post arrival. if you want to build something a bit 'special', or know someone who does, timing could work out rather well as he usually works on big budget projects but will have the opportunity to consider other (he has also done some v nice social housing schemes so he can work on tighter budgets too). the only thing is the interest factor needs to be greater when the budget is lesser... eco build etc., and he wont build english cottages whatever the funds available!

he understands passive climate controls/ high security/ listed buildings / difficult sites etc. and will be looking for potential award-winning, publishable projects in nz. uses a lot of glass etc. jonathan glancey approves...

if you are interested in building a 'dream' contact him confidentially via this site. i was going to post more specific details but it suddenly occurred that while his staff now know he is leaving, his clients cannot know for ages yet. that would be divorce-worthy, and that is a whole different forum and i dont have time...

PB, hi
    Yeah, you're right. Definately worth looking into. Done quite a lot of digging around for info and it seems like it really could be on the cards when we get out there. If we're going to all this trouble of uprooting the family and the risks that go with it, it seems only right to try and get your ideal home in the location you want it. You not think so ? what real estate sites do you use for your info' ?

20 acres for NZ$155 k, that sounds sweet. I've got a very good mate ( A Kiwi ) who went back home to Rotorua and done just that. You should see his place, right on the lake, it's fantastic. He took the best part of a year to build it. Done most of it himself in his spare time. He's sitting on a goldmine if he ever decided to sell. I think things would have to happen a bit faster for me if I wanted to keep dear old wifey though !!
    20 acres eh ! you not fancy going in with me neighbour ?. 10 acres each, still plenty of room.

Cheers I'll give you a shout for the house warming.

John

I just use Realenz.
    Do a search on Manawatu & Lifestyle. When the screen comes up, put Pohangina into the "suburb" field and it'll bring up 5 listings.
    For some strange reason I can't see the the attached pics on the page, but, if you check out Dinys pics thread there a panoramic shot of the Pohangina there.
    A professional build company would have a house up and carpeted in 8-12 weeks, pricing is the next thing to look into, but will have to wait 'til we're there for that I think.
    Dunno if I want a neighbour so close though Bubs, someone on the other side of a 20 acre block; start to get that crowded feel about it, don't you think?

This is a previous post from a similar subject. Perhaps it might be of interest here..

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jw.rich/

And an American site that explains them.
    http://www.domehome.com/

I don't know if they are a practical alternative or how expensive, I just came across them the other day... and am sharing the find due to the current post.

Regards

AndyA :booby

Default Geo Home

I looked at the DOme Home site and it brought back memories of the fantastic opportunity I had to meet Buckminster Fuller over a weekend -- what a true Rennaisance man!