Thread: Primary schools Papakura anyone?

Question Primary schools Papakura anyone?

Hi - I'm new to the board. My grandchildren arrived in New Zealand with their parents just an hour ago to start a new life. Sadly, I am still in Scotland but want to help them get to grips with their new life.

They intend to stay around the Papakura area - exactly where will be driven by the quality of the local schools. The kids are aged 9 and 6 - both quite bright. The eldest is a fairly sensitive lad but an exceptional young artist and a good athlete. The younger is a smart young lady into anything active - dancing, riding, athletics, etc.

Does anyone have experience of Papakura schools? Any recommendations?

Brodie

Hi Brodie

I can't help with Papakura sorry. But I wanted to say welcome to the forum and what a lovely thing you are doing, helping out and being involved with your son's move to NZ.

Ditto

Nanny xxx

Hello Brodie

Here are 2 primary schools in good areas (they are only 10 mins drive apart)

This primary school is in Conifer Grove :
    http://www.ero.govt.nz/ERO%5Creppub.nsf/Institution/454C1FC43D14D4B5CC256D32001D6921/$File/1255.htm?OpenElement#_Toc41723413

A brand new primary school in Wattle Cove : http://www.reremoana.school.nz/
    Marie's kids will be attending this school.

If you need a private option, you could always go with the school I'm at inbetween Papakura and Karaka. PM me for more details if you're interested.

Hi Brodie and welcome!
    The best site to find information about schools is
    http://www.tki.org.nz/e/schools/grap...akura_District
    This link takes you to the Papkura listings.
    Decile ratings (1 = lowest, 10 = highest) are an indicator of the socio-economic level of the area, and the received wisdom seems to be the higher the decile, the "better" the school, i.e. parents can afford to support the school, which means the school is not going to be deprived of resources. However, just because a school has a lower rating does not mean that the quaility of education will be poor. I think it's down to visitng them and getting a feel for them, but this link will allow you to research first.
    We have been in touch with schools in a different area of Aucklnad and have found them to be really helpful,

Good luck,

gil